Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
connkall
Channel Surfer

Upgrading to Roku Ultra (4802R) seems to be a mistake. eARC problems with Sonos Arc.

Jump to solution

I’m was going to upgrade from a Roku Ultra (4660X) to the Roku Ultra (4802R). I’m very familiar with Roku (have 7 of them) and know about eARC, home audio/video, etc…

The 4660X is connected to a Hisense TV (75U7H) and has a Sonos Arc connected via eARC. This setup is working 100% without issues, never had a problem.

I’ve removed the 4660X and setup the 4802R and now have nothing but audio issues. I’ve wasted almost two hours of my life trying to get it to work and have concluded that this has to be some kind of software issue with the device itself. I can get sound through the TV speakers, but for whatever reason the 4802R will not output sound to the Sonos Arc. At one point the Roku literally kept changing from eARC to TV speakers. Every time I switched; it would switch back. Never seen any other device do that and I also have an Xbox SX & PS5 in the mix.

I’ve already tried cycling every setting (obviously), pulling HDMI cables, power cycling, etc… and went as far as resetting the Roku Ultra (4802R), still no go. Popped the old 4660X back in and it works without issue…

I would love an explanation from Roku however they no longer like to use email and the details of this issue are too much for a dinky chat window.

I already boxed the 4802R up to send back but figured I’d share this with others if they have the same issue with the same devices. Obviously the problem is NOT the TV nor the Sonos as they work fine with the older Roku Ultra.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Upgrading to Roku Ultra (4802R) seems to be a mistake. eARC problems with Sonos Arc.

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We appreciate you posting your concerns here. We understand that you are experiencing issues with the speakers on your Roku streaming device, and we're here to assist you.

Please be informed that when connecting a soundbar to your TV, HDMI-ARC is the best option to ensure you get the best quality sound. Other methods may result in a loss of multi-channel sound and only provide stereo sound. Your Roku devices should be connected to the TV for streaming platforms, while non-Roku speakers should be connected directly to the TV. If you are experiencing issues with the sound quality of your TV or speaker, it is important to check their compatibility. If you need further assistance, we recommend contacting your TV manufacturer for support.

In addition, Roku TVs can only be paired with a Roku speaker, which does not support Bluetooth connectivity. However, we highly recommend using our Roku mobile app for seamless connectivity if you use a wireless non-Roku speaker or headphones. Refer to this support page on How to use Private Listening on Roku TVs and Roku streaming players.

We hope this information helps!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Upgrading to Roku Ultra (4802R) seems to be a mistake. eARC problems with Sonos Arc.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the additional information, @msrtaylor!

We appreciate the attempts to resolve the issue. We recommend you try enabling HDMI-CEC and ARC on your TV to see if that helps. Please visit our support page for step-by-step instructions based on your TV's brand on How to enable HDMI-CEC and ARC on your TV.

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
msrtaylor
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. Apparently, a lot people have been having this issue since late 2023. Like you, I spent over 2 hours following every solution out there and it simply doesn't work. I plugged my old 4K streaming stick back in and works perfect. Guess I'm returning my "upgraded" Ultra. So frustrating😖

0 Kudos
connkall
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I wound up just returning it and using the TV's smarts. 

Disappointed in Roku, how can upgrading to the latest and greatest not work but the old **bleep** works....? 

They seem to be not interested in a fix so whatever. 

0 Kudos
Ryanpjones

Jump to solution

I’m also in the same boat I think, but I am able to get sound coming out of my speakers. However, there’s a clear difference between the speakers before the update and now.

For one, I always knew the minimum number it needed to be on for me to still hear when the kids went to bed (if you know, you know lol). That minimum has now changed.

Secondly, it used to handle the random loud commercials and standardize the volume on all commercials. That has changed and now I’ve gone back to getting the randomly loud commercials. 

come on Roku! Give us answers.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We appreciate you posting your concerns here. We understand that you are experiencing issues with the speakers on your Roku streaming device, and we're here to assist you.

Please be informed that when connecting a soundbar to your TV, HDMI-ARC is the best option to ensure you get the best quality sound. Other methods may result in a loss of multi-channel sound and only provide stereo sound. Your Roku devices should be connected to the TV for streaming platforms, while non-Roku speakers should be connected directly to the TV. If you are experiencing issues with the sound quality of your TV or speaker, it is important to check their compatibility. If you need further assistance, we recommend contacting your TV manufacturer for support.

In addition, Roku TVs can only be paired with a Roku speaker, which does not support Bluetooth connectivity. However, we highly recommend using our Roku mobile app for seamless connectivity if you use a wireless non-Roku speaker or headphones. Refer to this support page on How to use Private Listening on Roku TVs and Roku streaming players.

We hope this information helps!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
connkall
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

None of this statement pertains to the problem reported, honestly did you even read it??? Let me simplify it for you.... 

I replaced the old version Roku from freaking 2017 (4660X) with latest one being sold in 2024 (4802R) and it's not putting out audio.... When I plop the old one back in, its putting out audio & working fine....

The 4802R is working as it should on another TV without a sound bar but I still returned it anyway out of frustration... 

msrtaylor
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Jharra,

Thank you for your reply but I don't think you are understanding the issue. I have everything set up correct and my Yamaha soundbar works perfect with my LG TV using my old 4k Streaming Stick. When I switch out the the Stick for the Ultra all volume is turned off. It is a Roku issue, specifically to do with the newest models. There are a number of other boards referencing this issue dated back to late 2023.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/Roku-Ultra-causing-HDMI-ARC-to-not-work/td-p/916462

https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/Soundbar-won-t-communicate-with-TV-over-ARC-...

Quote from a professional installer:

“As an AV installer, I’m getting a lot of service calls for this exact issue. It’s happening between various models of Samsung and LG TVs as well as Roku models (Express, Stick, and Ultras). We simply unplug the HDMI from the Roku and then the soundbar ARC works as expected. Roku needs to dive deeper into this. It’s a repeating, reoccurring issue. I feel like the Rokus are trying to communicate to other HDMI devices connected to the TV or it’s something with HDCP. Sometimes swapping HDMIs work. Sometimes switching sound output to stereo or PCM helps. Other customers are left with unplugging and plugging the HDMI out of the Roku device to get their soundbar going.” 

0 Kudos
connkall
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

He didn't read the problem and his suggestion is not a solution, Its a copy/past standard reply from typical outsourced support.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the additional information, @msrtaylor!

We appreciate the attempts to resolve the issue. We recommend you try enabling HDMI-CEC and ARC on your TV to see if that helps. Please visit our support page for step-by-step instructions based on your TV's brand on How to enable HDMI-CEC and ARC on your TV.

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
connkall
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My god dude, are you even reading what you are suggesting? Of course we know about CEC & eARC, that's what the post is about.... I give up..... see ya!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.