Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kpluck
Binge Watcher

Turning off display on a Roku TV

Jump to solution

I am considering the purchase of a TCL Roku TV but have a question.

If I use a Roku remote with headphone jack with the TV, am I able to listen to what is playing through the remote with the TV screen turned off on a Roku TV? Basically, I would like to start something playing (audio or video) but then I want to turn the display off while the content keeps playing.

-kp

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dee_shaw
Reel Rookie

Re: Turning off display on a Roku TV

Jump to solution

@kpluck I have a Roku TV, and it does give me the option to turn off my display when listening to music (I've only tested it out using the Spotify app). When I cut off the display, my music still plays.

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
twiceover
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
No, it will stop whatever is playing.  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
Some TVs will allow turning the screen off while continuing to play the audio. You're not actually turning the TV off, just blanking the screen, so it's not like it saves much power. I'm fairly sure that no Roku TV has such a function, however. I know my Samsung does, but that's the only one I know of for certain. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
kpluck
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
Bummer. I read a Roku support note that indicated this is possible listening through their wireless speakers so I was hoping it was possible through the remote as well. I guess the worst case scenario would be to do it like I do know, just use an external Roku box connected to the TV, start my content, then turn the TV off.

Thanks for the feedback.

-kp
0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
"kpluck" wrote:
Bummer. I read a Roku support note that indicated this is possible listening through their wireless speakers so I was hoping it was possible through the remote as well. I guess the worst case scenario would be to do it like I do know, just use an external Roku box connected to the TV, start my content, then turn the TV off.

Thanks for the feedback.

-kp

It is not possible for most content. I believe there may be a few Audio apps (Pandora, TuneIn, etc.) that might have an option from within the app that will allow you to blank the screen and still allow audio to play. It is something that my previous Vizio set allowed for all content and I submitted a request years ago to have this feature added with no response.
BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
0 Kudos
kpluck
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
Thanks for that clarification!

-kp
0 Kudos
dee_shaw
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@kpluck I have a Roku TV, and it does give me the option to turn off my display when listening to music (I've only tested it out using the Spotify app). When I cut off the display, my music still plays.

kpluck
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info!

Regards.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You just hit the "Options" * and you will see a "turn off display" tab.  Music keeps playing. (At least, when using an amp with separate speakers; not sure what happens with the tv speakers, but if you're listening to music with those, you're better off turning everything off (lol).

0 Kudos
ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Which Roku TV model do you have? I have a TCL Roku TV, but don’t see the option to turn off display.

Edit:  Never mind, just found it!

0 Kudos