Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notahappyviewer
Reel Rookie

TV not finding network, not accepting manual USB updates

Insignia Roku TV

Roku TV Model 5406X

Insignia Model number NS-48DR510NA17

Serial number 2N0054686664

Software Version 8.0.0-build 4183-20

Does not find any networks.

When trying to do a manual software update with USB, sometimes I get a message that says "Oops! That didn't work" when entering the 12 digit code.  If I get past that part, the six digit code is invalid.

Due to bad internet service has been used as just an over-the-air TV since purchased in 2016.  It worked fine until 1/3/2023.  Then it started freezing, turning off, then back on every few minutes on the major channels (FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS),  and a couple of times an hour on other local channels.

We got new, better internet service.  This TV does not recognize any networks.  Our laptops can see several other networks besides our.  The TV is about 12 feet from the router.  We have tried repeatedly system resets, updates from USB (which have all failed in the way I stated above.  The update was downloaded on a USB formatted to FAT32.  The update is not in a sub-folder on the USB.  It is on a 32GB USB.

I feel if we could update the software to a more resent version, the TV might be watchable.  Any ideas on why this TV will not accept the update from the USB or find my network?

I called Insignia support.  They said it was a Roku issue.  I called Roku support.  After 2 hours repeatedly going through the reset and update procedures, the rep gave up and said he would send my issue to some other support staff.  I never understood who he was sending it to.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV not finding network, not accepting manual USB updates

That sounds like a TV that has some kind of hardware problem, but the software version is very old.  For the Wi-Fi problem, does the MAC address displayed under Setting->Network->About display all zeros?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
notahappyviewer
Reel Rookie

The MAC address consists of a string of numbers and letters.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Well so much for that idea.  It wouldn't have helped anyway, but might have explained why no networks show up.  Can you try a hotspot on your phone?  Try both 2.4 and 5GHz if you can.  For the USB update, all I can suggest is to reformat the USB drive and/or try a different one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
notahappyviewer
Reel Rookie

I can't use my phone as a mobile hotspot.  I've tried more than one USB for the manual update.  Both were formatted as the tech rep with Roku said they should be.  I was supposed to receive a call back from the rep after he sent my problem to someone else at Roku.  Never heard back.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@notahappyviewer

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

If you are currently in contact with a member of our Support team, we would recommend continuing to work with them regarding the issue you are experiencing as they would best be able to assist you moving forward.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Have you attempted to connect your Insignia TV directly to the router using an ethernet network cable? I have been doing so with my tv since it is roughly the same distance as yours from my router, just have to get a 15ft CAT5 or CAT6 cable, then you can see if there is any actual problem with the network connectivity of the tv itself.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
0 Kudos
notahappyviewer
Reel Rookie

It appears the member of the Support Team has dumped me.  He said I would receive a call back within 48 hours.  It has now been about 5 days and I have heard nothing back.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@notahappyviewer

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

I have passed along your concerns and information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos