Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moat
Streaming Star

Re: Useless Roku Live TV Channel Guide

Jump to solution

I believe where Roku is likely toeing the legal line here is in that - unlike on the streaming side of things - in utilizing the live/OTA broadcast TV features of these devices, there are no "terms of service" in which (us) users have given Roku ANY expressed consent in serving us advertisements in any way, shape or form (especially where advertisements previously didn't exist), NOR have we granted Roku any consent to change/modify the underlying system controlling these devices (devices that we own, no less) in order to facilitate the delivery of this unwanted advertising that benefits no one but Roku.

Somewhere on the forum, I even recall seeing mention that one must remain connected to the internet in order to receive the channel guide program information, because OTA broadcast signals don't include any such information - which is patently false. OTA broadcast signals do carry useful program information - but as it so happens, this information is not being utilized by Roku TVs/RokuOS. Likely, again, as an underhanded manipulation to keep us connected to the internet so as Roku can force upon us their "select" ads while concurrently maintaining access to modifying our TV's operating system in order to better serve that (unscrupulous) goal.

More deceit, more deception. "Bait and switch" comes to mind.

My opinion.

westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Moat, I like your reasoning behind Roku's motives in your previous post. Unfortunately it is we, the users who are suffering, if you're correct - and you're 100% right that Roku doesn't care.

We'll just have to wait to see how long they continue this campaign until they see the error in their ways or their stockholders demand some changes in management.

Moat
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@westner Exactly! Unfortunately, that wait will likely be for quite some time. Meanwhile, our TVs remain crippled and I expect will only become moreso, if anything, over that time.

The fact that no Roku employees have responded in an attempt to deny or explain anything I've implied in my previous posts only confirms my suspicions - their "silence is deafening".

I still seriously feel/urge that owners of these now-crippled devices should demand a full refund from Roku directly or work towards filing a class-action against Roku in order to recover a refund, en masse. Otherwise, Roku will continue to get away with this completely unacceptable behavior - stuff their pocket$ with our money, fold the doors when it all comes tumbling down, and go home fat & happy... as if nothing ever happened, as if they never did anything wrong. 

Additionally, file complaints with the FTC, state and DOJ's Consumer Protection divisions/agencies. As consumers, we have rights in regards to these issues - if Roku won't do anything about them, then someone else will.

0 Kudos
jacknorth
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm gonna post an unpopular opinion here, but I think some of these discussions are going off the deep end a bit. All this talk of underhandedness, illegal practices and such is a bit much. I'm just not happy with the features update.

Take care, folks, don't have a conniption.

cwcheese
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jacknorthYou are correct, the discussion here has gone off the edge. The TV is not crippled, nor is there any illegality happening, although it is disappointing and infuriating that Roku is not making any noticeable attempt to address the complaints. The only solution to get their attention is to change the market conditions, if you switch to another vendor and their market share shrinks then there may be movement.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@jacknorthand @cwcheese you may be both right in saying that "the discussion here has gone off the edge", but these are just discussions - users venting their frustrations with Roku. Kudos for users like @Zonexero for documenting the timeline of the inane changes to the Guide and to users like @Moat for uncovering Roku's possible motives. By now we all know that Roku is steadfast in the resolve to stay the course but we also know that their ship is sinking. I'm hopeful that the stockholders, who ultimately wield the power, will make Roku more User friendly.

By now many of us have learned how to defeat Roku's scheme by 'hide'ing all unwanted channels, thereby creating a 'Favorites' only list. I've limited my list to about 20 Roku streaming channels and about 35 OTA channels. Now my Live TV Channel Guide is quite manageable. Every now and then, Roku sneaks in new channels into the Guide. It's very simple just to 'hide' them.

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuMary-F , I came across one of your posts on another thread and would like to appeal to you, you as a Roku moderator, to see if you could pass on our concerns to the proper Roku development team. Please read the posts in the last few pages of this thread to see what these concerns are.

Numerous times we have directly addressed another moderator, @RokuDanny-R , but he completely evaded the issue by asking a single user for info on his TV, the Roku OS number, etc., none of which have anything to do with the inane changes Roku has been making to the Live Channel Guide.

Please help!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that Roku is constantly striving to improve the Roku streaming experiences. In the meantime, I have passed along your feedback to the appropriate Roku team for consideration.

We will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator