Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdxviewer
Binge Watcher

TV Guide driving me crazy!!!

This has been going on since the latest TV update.  I have the a TCL Roku TV.  When in the TV Guide, you can be going looking for a show, while there, you can be "Dialing" down or up to see what is on in the guide, and BAM!!!  the position you were in, resets to the beginning position.  It is very random and just doesn't let you go from Ch 2 to 1337 or whatever it is for the Roku channels integration.

In addition to this, and I consider this part of the TV Guide - when you do settle on a show, about 1 minute later, the Guide shows the same info when you first "tune" to that channel.   Sometimes - this is right around the time you needed to see something in news and it is blocked due to that and you rush to get your remote to push the Back button to clear it. 

46 REPLIES 46
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV Guide driving me crazy!!!

@pdxviewer 

I wonder if it may be a TCL or remote issue. (or perhaps just something flaky with your particular TV).  

I haven't experienced either of these behaviors on my Insignia RokuTV.

Does this happen to you in both the Antenna/OTA Guide and the Roku Channel TV Guide?

Also seems strange that the overlay banner on bottom of screen would reappear again after tuning into Channel. (normally pressing the OK button toggles the overlay banner on/off).  That is why I am thinking it may just be a bad remote, and not the TV or the Guide (at least at first glance.)  It is of course, entirely possible there is a bug in the OS, but haven't seen additional reports of this yet in the Community.

Try downloading the official Roku Mobile Remote App to a mobile device (phone or tablet) available in the Play/Apple stores.  Then take the batteries out of your physical remote to disable it and avoid it from interfering with anything.  Then try using the Remote app and see if this resolves your issue.

I understand it only happens intermittently, but I think this may be a necessary step in diagnosing the problem with the channel browsing/scrolling.

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help.

Edited: I stand corrected.  @Benedlr reported seeing the overlay banner issue on his TCL RokuTV as recently as yesterday. (https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Channel-guide-is-now-timed/m-p/761525#M24100)  This may turn out to be a bug affecting TCL RokuTVs. (or at least an undesired feature.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Benedlr
Roku Guru

I tried unchecking Smart TV and Ad Tracker. No change. Same with a screen reset and pulled plug reset. Guess I'll live with it. Your remote comment started me checking. No low battery on screen. Still, I'll replace them. I remove the cover and a green light is blinking next to a reset (?) button. I swap and it still blinks. Remove batteries and reinstall. Same. Hold button for 10 seconds. Nothing. Remove, wait and reinstall. Light is gone. Re-install old batteries and no light. Banner still reappears but now I can casually peruse the Guide without it timing out. 

I re-read the manual and checked Roku and TCL but could find no information on the light or button functions.

0 Kudos
Benedlr
Roku Guru

From what others are saying this came bundled when they made the signal strength bars reappear.

0 Kudos
Chris36m
Binge Watcher

I've been having the same exact issue for about 2 months now, I have a Hisense Roku Tv

0 Kudos
Chris36m
Binge Watcher

Before this problem happened I noticed I only had 1 bar for a signal, now it's been full bars since this started, has to be a software update issue

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Chris36m 

Then definitely helps to support @Benedlr comment that was probably part of the build update released by Roku in an attempt to fix the signal strength bar graphic issue.

Are you also getting the Guide issue complained of by @pdxviewer while scrolling regarding the "timed feature/snapping/reverting" or just the extra reappearing info banner overlay after selecting a Channel?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Chris36m
Binge Watcher

It only happens after changing channels, about 1 min after, also I wish like my old cable receiver you could go in settings and adjust the banner time to short, medium or long, 

0 Kudos
pdxviewer
Binge Watcher

I use a combination of a few different remotes for the channel change, one which came with my Roku 4 which we haven't had online in months.  (TV says it's a gaming remote, it's the RF one which pairs with the TV and eats batteries for dinner every month or so), that one is our preferred as it is super quiet with button pushing and offers the headphone plugin for my family since I still work from home and having no volume on TV during meetings etc  is a huge bonus while they watch.  (I sit next to it). We also have the remote which came with the TV which is a super loud clicking one.  That is IR based and our secondary.   I also have my phone app installed which I have used in the past to change channels.    All of which can replicate this issue with the program summary panel coming up about a minute later.

This happens with both OTA and Roku Channel broadcasts (a.k.a. streaming), while in the guide.  I can disable the integration if needed for testing.

0 Kudos
pdxviewer
Binge Watcher

This weekend I bought a brand new replacement remote (GE branded universal).  The issue still arises even with the old ones put away (batteries out).  So, this has something to do with the software.

I know that OS 11 is coming around eventually, so hopefully this will fix the issue.