Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GoobTheNoob
Reel Rookie

TCL Smart Roku TV - 50S555 won't connect to dual band wifi when WPA2 enabled

I have a TCL Smart Roku TV (50S555 2022 model) and a ASUS RT-AX86U router sitting next to it. The TV specs for wifi are "802.11ac 2x2 Dual Band (support 2.4GHz & 5GHz)". The router is configured in dual band (Dual-Band Smart Connect 2.4GHz and 5GHz in ASUS speak).  Authentication is set to WPA2-Personal with AES encryption.  All other devices in the house connect with no problems but the Roku TV sits and spins trying to connect and fails. 

I have tried many of the suggestions from other threads - reboot TV, reset network, reset router, make sure the 5GHz uses channel 48 or less, make sure 2.4GHz uses channel 1, split the bands, etc.  with no joy. 

If I change the network authentication to "Open System", the TV connects fine which is interesting but not a useful solution.  When set to WPA2-Personal, regardless of password simplicity (e.g. 00000000), it fails to connect.

I created a guest network on the 2.4GHz band set to WPA2-Personal authentication and the TV connects fine.  Another interesting result but not a useful solution since the guest network doesn't have access to the VPN setup on the router.

Help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
GoobTheNoob
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL Smart Roku TV - 50S555 won't connect to dual band wifi when WPA2 enabled

Found a solution. If I changed the authentication method from WPA2-Personal to WPA2/WPA3-Personal, the TV connects and works fine.  

0 Kudos