Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karmutt
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL Roku TV freezing 15 seconds after startup (not a startup loop situation)...

Jump to solution

My TV now seems to be functioning properly.

It shut off randomly again two days ago and, just as before, when I turned it back on I full control over it. I went through the settings menu this time to see if I could find something that might be causing the problem (I really should have done this before now...).

What seems to have worked is enabling the "Fast TV Start" option:

Setting > System > Power > Fast TV Start > Enable

I waited a few days before posting this, just to make sure things were still working. There haven't been any updates since I made this change, so I don't know if it things will revert once there is.

Roku support - please don't mark this as solved yet. If others with this problem are quick about it, they may be able to get through the menu to update this setting before their system freezes BUT the system shouldn't be freezing in the first place. There is still an underlying problem here that needs to be addressed. 

0 Kudos
karmutt
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL Roku TV freezing 15 seconds after startup (not a startup loop situation)...

Jump to solution

Grrrr!!!!

My TV started having this issue again this morning. I thought that there might have been an update that disabled the Fast TV Start option but when I looked at it, it still showed that the box was checked. I (stupidly?) unchecked it, thinking that doing the old "have you tried turning it off and on" trick might work, but that seems to have made everything worse.

The system froze right after I disabled the fast start. Now, when I turn the TV back on, I'm not able to even get to my home screen because I'm being blocked by an update. An update that won't run because of this flipping 15 second freeze.

I'm getting an error message: Error 023.1

"Something went wrong. You can check your network settings (managed to do that; it's hard-wired not wifi and everything is fine), factory reset your device (I shouldn't need to do this!!!!) or try updating again (tried several times)."

If I try to turn the TV on without the ethernet cable plugged in, I just get a Software Update / Waiting for network popup which freezes because, you know, the TV freezes up after about 15 seconds.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @karmutt

We appreciate your patience as you work through this. Have you tried to update your device manually?  Go to Home > Settings > System > System Update > Check now. 

You may also check the troubleshooting instructions on our Support page here: What to do if your Roku streaming device is unable to update software

Let us know if this resolves the issue you're experiencing.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
karmutt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

How can I do that when:

A) With the issue I'm having today, I cannot even get to my home screen to access the settings menu. I've detailed this situation in the post that you responded to.

B) With the issue I've had since last October... If I do manage to get to my home screen and access the settings menu, I only have 15 seconds or so before the system freezes. If I could manage to get through the Home > Settings > System > System Update > Check now sequence in those 15 seconds, the system will still freeze up. And yes, I have tried this; I've detailed my situation in this thread, starting with a very long post back in October 2022 and have added many updates since then.

I can hopefully unbrick this TV (again) by doing a factory reset, which is a pain because I only have 15 seconds to get through the setup menu before I have to restart the TV and pickup from where things left off. I've had to do this several times since this problem started. That 15 second issue is still there, so I cannot go through the menus or turn the sound up or down after that 15 second window, BUT I can get to an HDMI source in those 15 seconds and use those sources to watch things. I wrote about this in my first post.

The bottom line is that this is a six-month-old ongoing issue. I'd appreciate it if someone reviewed this entire thread and then came back with some solid advice / answers.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @karmutt

Thank you for the inquiry!

Have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer - TCL to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. They'll be the best ones to help regarding your issue.

You can contact them here: TCL Support. Call them at 1-877-300-8837.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
djparekh
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have reached out to the TV manufacturer ie. TCL and Roku multiple times but no one has helped me so far. I am very close to filing an official complaint about this since this is extremely bad business. TCL is correct in that this is not their fault, the TV works perfectly, but there is some software bug in the system because of which it freezes after 15 seconds. If it was a hardware issue, TCL could have helped.

I have tried everything and nothing has helped me solve this issue with the TV. This is the worst position to be in because the TV is in perfectly good condition to function but a software bug has caused it to malfunction.

0 Kudos
karmutt
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes, I mentioned reaching out to TCL in my very first post back in October.

Please - before another support person responds to this - read through the entire thread. I and others have written about the steps we've gone through and the results we've had. I have been very thorough and detailed in my own posts and it's frustrating to have these basic responses from your support team. I've taken the time to give you as much info as I can; please take the time to read what I've written.

As for it being a manufacturer issue, it's not; this is on your end. If you go back and read my previous posts I talk about how I've been able to use the TV. I'm not going to rehash that here. Please go back and read my posts.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @karmutt,

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're running into!

Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if you are still experiencing the same issue? Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if that helps?

For these issues, it may occur when your internet connection provided by your ISP cannot supply data fast enough for the playback device. Try these simple tips and troubleshooting steps as this may help with the connectivity issue.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Ward regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
djparekh
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

To any Roku Employee Responding here,

Please Please Please take the time to read the thread and suggest a reasonable solution. If you don't have one, flag it to some team internally, please stop forwarding random solutions which have absolutely nothing to do with the problem. You are wasting your time and ours.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @djparekh

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos