Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smileybri
Channel Surfer

TCL 55S401 Roku site Model number?

I have a TCL Roku TV stuck in a boot loop. I tried all the available reset methods, and none have revived the TV. It shows the red TCL Roku screen for a while, then goes black and comes on and repeats over and over. 

I want to direct flash the firmware if I can, but the first step is providing a model number other than the 55S401 printed on the back of the TV. I need a number only found in the TV settings. This is impossible since the TV will not work correctly enough for me to retrieve this information. 

I reached out to TCL to see if they could provide the information based on the serial number, and they could not. 

I get to this site (https://tvupdate.roku.com/index?p=select) to see if I can get the firmware to flash, but it rejects 55S401 as a model number. 

Service No.: 55S401LDAA

Model: 55S401

I like the TV and would love to revive it. It is too cheap to have repaired, so this is a last-ditch effort before it goes in a land fill. Sad. Is there another use for the panel? Is there a way to jump it right to an HDMI input bypassing the Roku? I really would hate to throw it away. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL 55S401 Roku site Model number?

Try 7111X or 7123X.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
smileybri
Channel Surfer

That worked. Thank you. 

This file on a USB stick requires the TV to function normally, though. Is there a way to force the update, like installing a ROM on a cell phone? 

0 Kudos
renojim

I was afraid it wouldn't automatically recognize it.  I saw other people post that they needed to disconnect all external devices, so if you haven't already, give that a try.

If holding in the reset button for 30+ seconds doesn't change things then it's probably time for something more drastic like searching for a compatible main board on ebay and giving it a shot.  Other than that selling the parts or the whole thing to someone else that may want to try fixing it is probably the only way to recoup some money.

0 Kudos
smileybri
Channel Surfer

https://www.amazon.com/55S401-Service-55S401LDAA-Complete-Repair/dp/B083QNYJY3

If I buy something like this to replace in the TV is it presumed I would be able to install the software, or that the software is already flashed onto the board? I understand that nobody can assure me of this, but is it typically understood that this is possible and that others have had success? I have the TV opened up. It seems like something I feel comfortable doing. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Did you see this?

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Loop-start-up-then-turns-off-and-backlights-work-well/m-p/...

0 Kudos
smileybri
Channel Surfer

no, but someone at TCL walked me through those steps. they didn't help in my case.

0 Kudos

Any luck getting this fixed? Mine is doing the same thing. 

0 Kudos
smileybri
Channel Surfer

Yes, that kit from Amazon was easy to install and worked perfectly. The TV is fully functional. Thanks to everyone here for your help. 

0 Kudos
renojim

@smileybri, so it did turn out to need a new main board (or power board).  Glad you got it working again!  Thanks for letting us know what it took to get back up and running.

0 Kudos