Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HowAmIBetter
Binge Watcher

TCL 55S20: All Who Had Error 008 Can't Update Software Due to Update File Given By Support

Back in 2020, people who owned 55S20 TCL Roku tv's were getting Error 008 either immediately on setup, or after trying to update their device. A couple of months go by and we noticed that we haven't been getting updates after 9.4.0 build 4200-93. You all informed us that our TV's were essentially stuck as they were. If anyone does a factory reset of their TV, they will not be able to get pass the setup screen due to the above issue unless they use the file provided to us by support that is linked below. I found a work around that essentially bypasses the update screen in the initial setup using wifi passthrough, but the post has been archived, and I cannot recall the steps. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RWTE7l6kL4iElBFNaoKavFQZAZ_60vtG/view?usp=drivesdk 

I would like to know if it was possible to give us another file like the above to fix our ongoing issues, or if the above file is all that could have possibly been provided to us to get us pass our initial issue? It essentially allowed our tv's to accept the update file that we had on our USB's, but after 9.4.0, the .bin file no longer forced our tv's to accept any other updates.

I vaguely remember talking to support via chat after the second update issue, I gave them my Device ID, Issue ID and Serial Number, and they got my TV to its current build of 9.4.0 build 4210-93, but the next following interaction, they could not get me pass the "The software update failed because of a temporary firmware server issue. Error 008" error to update.

My Issue ID is `YG-414-385`. The last thing I was told was that my USB port was broken. I had no trouble browsing the USB that had the update on it. The issue was that I could not force the tv to initiate an update screen. I could only get this screen to pop up when I plugged in the usb.

IMG_0001.jpeg

And I never figured out how to update my TV ever again.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
HowAmIBetter
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL 55S20: All Who Had Error 008 Can't Update Software Due to Update File Given By Support

So the file was provided to us by TCL and not Roku like I originally thought. It contained an authentication token to the Roku Update Servers which has since expired. I've spoken to TCL, and they refuse to help me without a warranty. I asked for a new token, and the support agent ended the chat.

I believe you all need my Serial Number also in order to grant me temporary access to the update servers. 
Serial Number (Under Issue Report Tracker): X00000S3R7YG (S04KH083R7YG)

So, while chatting with TCL support, I ended up performing a Factory Reset because the Hard Reset button did not function. I then proceeded to do a hard reset after the factory reset, and it seemed to function correctly. 

I went about the usual method of activating my TV, but I can no longer produce a code to initiate activation. It just loads forever now. It looks as though my TV has been stripped of all access from TCL servers, as I can no longer activate it using the method depicted in the photo below. (Note: The other activation method initiates an update before activation, and my tv cannot complete an update because it has no access to Roku's Update Servers. Causing me to never make it to the activation screen.)

CamScanner 10-14-2024 17.16_1.jpeg

0 Kudos
HowAmIBetter
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL 55S20: All Who Had Error 008 Can't Update Software Due to Update File Given By Support

Update: I just forgot the workaround for  how I used to activate my TV. I had to block the device from internet during the update check, and then unblock the device for the Activation Process.
I wrote an SOP in the original archived post, but I can no longer view it.

I guess I'll keep trying different methods of pushing the update, until I get help.

0 Kudos
HowAmIBetter
Binge Watcher

IMG_0008.jpegIMG_0009.jpegIMG_0010.jpeg

DEAD END: I've gotten to the usb update page, but I cannot make it past the entering of the 6 digit code. After entering the code provided to me on the website, it fails.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.