Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mandojim
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL 55R615 RokuTV displays Closed Caption even when CC set to only show On Mute

I have the same issue:

Roku TV 7116X

TCL model 43S517

9.4.0 build 4190-30

Device ID FRU91T871728

S/N YS00TU871728

UPDATE FEB 25th

I noticed today that the Closed Captioning is working when usiing CC on MUTE.  S/W ver 9.4.0 Build 4200

I have avoided using this for a while so I don't know when it started working.  My last update was Dec 11th.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: TCL 55R615 RokuTV displays Closed Caption even when CC set to only show On Mute

@mandojim 

Thanks for the information.

Can you please provide us with more specific information about how you are obtaining your OTA channels? Are you using an antenna/TV tuner?

In addition, can you please provide us with a tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mandojim
Binge Watcher

I am getting my channels with an antenna over the air.

TCL TV is put in CLOSED CAPTION – ON MUTE

Then – MUTE the TV  (Closed Cations are showing)

Then Volume Up

Now Closed Captions are still showing along with the sound is being heard (Was Muted before I pressed Volume Up)

Then I depress * and Closed Captioning is now set to “on always”

ALSO

If using VOLUME DOWN – instead of VOLUME UP  the TV stays MUTED (Vol Up caused the sound to come on)

Then I depress * and Closed Captioning is now set to “on always”

This is the same as when using Volume Up EXCEPT now I have no sound.

Model 7166X – Roku TV
Serial No YS00TU871728 (FRU01T871728)
Software Version: 9.4.0 build 4190-30
Timestamp 2020-12-03T17:55:56Z
Issue ID 28-486-355

Please note.

There appears to be a similar problem when using MUTE ON REPLAY

When I put the TV on Closed Captions  ON REPLAY… 

Then I rewind -  There are NO CLOSED CAPTIONS during the replay

Then when I depress “*”

Closed Captions is set to OFF  instead of MUTE on REPLAY

Issue ID 28-486-370

UPDATE FEB 25th

I noticed today that the Closed Captioning is working when usiing CC on MUTE.  S/W ver 9.4.0 Build 4200

I have avoided using this for a while so I don't know when it started working.  My last update was Dec 11th.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mandojim 

Thanks for providing us with that information.

I have passed along your information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mandojim
Binge Watcher

Even simpler.       

If I set CC to "on Mute" then hit  "*" - CC shows "on always"

If I set CC to "on replay" then hit "*" - CC shows "Off"

All channels over the air using antenna

UPDATE FEB 25th

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Simple workaround: set CC to always off. It obviously doesn't get you CC when muting, but it is the solution to annoying CC turning itself on and it is the solution TCL will provide if you contact them.

Don't hold your breath for a fix.

onyx
Channel Surfer

Thank you. Yes, Sir, I thought of just setting CC “Always Off”.. BUT something changed (?update?) to cause the CC to stay ON when “On Mute” is toggled. If this annoyance is ONLY COMMON  to TCL Roku units, then TCL Tech Services needs to “step up” and solve their mistake. It is hoped the Roku Tech folks have shared this NEW QUIRK with TCL Tech folks, so we customers get the expected performance returned to our TCL-ROKU products. If this issue is NOT FIXED, TCL-ROKU REVIEWS will be damaging to BOTH PRODUCTS.!

obiwayne
Reel Rookie

I discovered this issue today when my wife asked for me to turn on the On Mute option. 

Using CBS App, OTA Antennae, or any other source causes the change to Always On when muted. 

TCL Model: 55R625

Software: 9.4.0 build 4200-88

Last updated 12/11/2020

Hope it gets fixed soon. 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@onyx wrote:

If this [sticky captions] issue is NOT FIXED, TCL-ROKU REVIEWS will be damaging to BOTH PRODUCTS!

Not to minimize your frustration, but that problem is like one drop in the bucket full of problems. They don't care. I would get on with the reviews. Losing sales is all they'll understand. (And, I'm not even sure that will work.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@obiwayne wrote:

I discovered this issue today when my wife asked for me to turn on the On Mute option. 

Using CBS App, OTA Antennae, or any other source causes the change to Always On when muted. 

Hope it gets fixed soon. 

I first noticed it months ago (last summer? fall?. I didn't come here until a Dec. 18 Roku update broke more functionality.). I agree with you about hoping it gets fixed soon. But, there's been ample opportunity. The way things go, I would expect more breakage. The old saying "one step forward, two back" typifies software updates. I.e., the real problem isn't the sticky captions. It's the lack of testing, the lack of care about how customers are affected. You don't know what's coming next, or if they care.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.