Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mel2

Sound bar connected via optical be able to be controlled by Roku smart tv remote

Jump to solution

I connected a sound bar to my Westinghouse Roku smart TV via an optical cable. I have to use two separate remotes for volume and everything else. Is there a way to control everything from just the Roku remote? I know you can do it using an hdmi cable but my sound bar doesn’t have that option, if I use an optical to HDMI converter cord will it still allow me to use just one remote?

I have a Westinghouse Roku smart TV and a Sony sound bar.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sound bar connected via optical be able to be controlled by Roku smart tv remote

Jump to solution

With optical only you will not be able to control the volume with roku tv remote, sorry. You should turn off the speakers on the tv, just use the volume of the soundbar, and if you don't want to use two remotes get universal that will control a roku tv and soundbar like the One-For-All urc-7935 streamer remote. Set it up for your roku tv, turn off the roku tv speakers and then program the universal remote with code for your soundbar. photo of it next to roku tv remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Sound bar connected via optical be able to be controlled by Roku smart tv remote

Jump to solution

I need solution too. My Sharp roku controlled sound bar, but this newer westinghouse does not it only wants roku sound products not 3rd party..

Very upset!

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

With optical only you will not be able to control the volume with roku tv remote, sorry. You should turn off the speakers on the tv, just use the volume of the soundbar, and if you don't want to use two remotes get universal that will control a roku tv and soundbar like the One-For-All urc-7935 streamer remote. Set it up for your roku tv, turn off the roku tv speakers and then program the universal remote with code for your soundbar. photo of it next to roku tv remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund

Jump to solution

This is inaccurate. I have many Roku TVs and external Rokus stick+'s the remotes have the power and volume button on them and the front has glossy plastic that means it has an IR transmitter. Anyways, they all can control sound bars, if I go into the same menu options for some very dumb reason westinghouse (I literally bought and received it via FedEx today) does not let you control other devices BUT roku branded sound bar, sub woofer and remotes only now. Its very frustrating they did this to what I assume are new models here on forth, no support....

Very upset!

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Roku remotes only control tv's directly. It is then the tv controls the audio device by hdmi-cec, which in the case of these soundbars which have no hdmi, it won't work. Have fun. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
zakress

Jump to solution

While all of the other responders are not incorrect that the sound cannot be controlled from the remote natively, my soundbar (Yamaha ATS-1520) does have a learning function to learn the tv remote signals.  I followed Yamaha's procedures for learning (after a quick search of the inter webs) and now have control over mute, volume up, volume down and power from single Roku remote.

While I cannot guarantee that your particular device will have this feature, most manufacturers build similar capabilities and hopefully you can find a solution like I was able to.

Cheers!

Winterjay
Reel Rookie

DESIGN DEFECT: Roku remote cannot control optically connected sound bar

Jump to solution

All of the "reasons" laid out here by Roku support are lame and missing the point:  There is no reason other than lazy, incomplete product design that it's remote should not be able to control ANY external IR-controlled device.  Case in point: The Amazon FireTV stick's remote can bet set to control a range of external devices.  

JRU0131
Reel Rookie

Re: DESIGN DEFECT: Roku remote cannot control optically connected sound bar

Jump to solution

It’s ridiculous that Roku has done this. Dumb that I have to use two remotes. It’s crazy cuz the original tv remote would randomly control my LG soundbar. The up volume button on the remote would lower the soundbar haha. I have led lights behind the tv and the LED remote for the lights can control the soundbar. Yellow turns down the volume, blue raises it. So an LED remote can control the volume, but not a Roku remote. I have a Hisense Roku tv. 

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@JRU0131 

Lg soundbars usually respond to Lg tv commands, and Hisense Roku tv's uses the LG tv code set for tv volume and mute. It should work fine together, and via IR. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
JRU0131
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mine is connected through Optical. So it doesn’t work. 

0 Kudos