Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Slow Internet Download Speed on Roku TV

@Nobody-Knows wrote:

Does that mean I can get 480 via USB port.?

Probably not. While that is the theoretical speed of a USB 2.0 port, there are other factors involved that might lower the overall bitrate available. The biggest issue is the chipset within the Roku device. In most cases, the chipset and processor cannot handle bitrates that high. I've played some test clips on a Roku Ultra using USB drive, and the Roku could not keep up with 180 Mbps content. And Roku does not build the TVs, so different manufacturers use different hardware inside, so it's not really possible to compare a Roku player and Roku TV, or even TVs from different manufacturers.

Don't forget that Roku devices were primarily designed for streaming from the Internet. There is no current online provider that exceeds around 20 Mbps with their content. At least, none I've been able to find. Netflix tops out at 16 Mbps. 

Buffering with a wired connection is one of two things. Either you're having an internal networking issue, or something outside your network is causing the problem. I had such a problem with streaming Netflix a number of years ago. Turns out there was something in the Internet itself (outside my ISP's firewall) that was interfering with Netflix, but nothing else. It was probably some sort of denial of service that was targeting Netflix servers. Since you're having issues with multiple providers, that's likely not the problem. In that case, I would start checking your network. First I'd look for a bad or damaged Ethernet cable, then potentially a problem with a network switch. Since most home users only use the switch contained in their Internet router/modem, it's always a possibility. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
dkcarmona
Channel Surfer

My TCL Roku TV's software was updated to Version 10.  Since this update Sling and other Channels/Apps are not freezing anymore.  There is still a lag between actions but over all it is working fine now.  Just have to have patience.

0 Kudos
Nobody-Knows
Reel Rookie

I can't break 90mbps (wireless or wired) on any TV in my house. (All TCL/Roku), except if I test Netflix thru a separate device like Xbox, etc, then I can get 900.!!

Maybe an update will help some day.

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

There will never be an update to fix what I believe is intentional by Roku. Even if Roku's TV manufactures put wireless AX cards in the TVs in the future then you will only still get 90Mbps. I own 3 TVs made by 2 different manufactures, Westinghouse and Sharp. People that own Roku ultras which contain wireless AC cards report the speed as people that own TVs too. Roku must not give freedom to the 12 TV manufactures to allow wireless AC speeds. It looks like to me that all of the Roku TVs contain a Roku Ultra inside. 

NateTruth
Binge Watcher

Did you all know that this problem has the BIGGEST threads on this forum!

...Roku does!  I noticed and I just started coming here then SURELY they do too.

They are just pacifying us, because their firmware didn't prepare for high Internet speeds .. don't believe me...

At like 2am today (Tuesday 9/14). I posted to a different thread and now it's disappeared??

So basically they know their firmware cannot handle 250 mpbs speeds and are trying to keep it hush hush!

That's FOWL!!

I WILL SERIOUSLY SPAM EVERY THREAD HERE ...AND EVERYONE OF THE 22 comment boards I am on. I will especially be posting this issue on Amazon sellers comments. And I suggest everyone here do the same!!

Maybe then Roku will get the message

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

My guess is that Roku's firmware is fine. But, Roku's driver for Wireless AC devices like my 3 TVs, wireless subwoofer  and  wireless soundbar is set to connect at 152 megabits and not 866.66 megabits a second. You can find your line speed if you login router. Even though the driver looks screwy to me the driver setting has not caused me to have any issues with streaming anything across the internet. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@NateTruth there is nothing on the Internet that streams at those speeds. Why should Roku build hardware in an Internet streaming player to support something that they'll never see? You have unrealistic expectations on what this player can do. Nothing available over the Internet streams faster than around 25 Mbps. The vast majority of content is under 20. Roku players are designed for Internet streaming. Yes, they support playing local media. But it's not their core functionality, and users must tempter their expectations based on that.

Even with my local media, I never had any issue streaming to a Roku device until I started ripping UHD movies. Now I can exceed the abilities of the Roku device. So I have two Nvidia Shield players that I use for that content. But for everything else I still generally use a Roku, simply because it works better.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
NateTruth
Binge Watcher

@atc98092

I understand your point. And since my initial post was removed, you don't seem to see ours.

I did not choose this Internet speed. I only brought internet 50. Which had speeds less than 100mpbs. But Spectrum upgraded my speed on their own ( no doing of mine).

Normally I would not hold Roku accountable for the actions of another company. But they CHOSE to be in the steaming business. Part of that CHOICE is keeping up with the constantly changing environment. Especially for issues like this where it was something that would always have happened (increase in speeds).

To not have planned for that...or even to not be making plans to address something that is going to continue indefinitely, is foolish and unconscionable. 

0 Kudos
NateTruth
Binge Watcher

@OwnerofDevices 

I'm a little confused. You made a change to your router or to the Roku? If you made this change on your router, how did it affect any other devices (computers,phones,tablets, smart devices)?

And are you saying this change helped with the wifi connect? 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

On my router I did not change anything, I was just looking at read only figures for all of my connected devices on my home network. There is no way to get this information about your Roku devices unless you login to your router and take a look. I can easily find the same information on my Windows 10 laptop or my Android phone without having to login my router. A Roku TV doesn't let you know what the line speed is from a TV, unless I don't know how to find the information, but I doubt it.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.