Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigfootIndy
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku update 12.5 broke the Plex app

This is a fantastic update, thank you so much!!!

TulsaTV
Binge Watcher

• This may be a fix from Plex. Again from Plex employee ljunkie:

------

Hey all. We are about to ship another preview release that may have a fix for the issue. We have opted to make this an experimental setting and it’s attached to the “Allow MPEG2” option. When “Allow MPEG2” is enabled, you’ll see another sub option named “Experimental 1080p MPEG2”. This sub option will allow direct streaming resolutions up to 1080p (again), but it should hopefully fix the memory issue. Without going into too much detail, we have found that using a different container to deliver the stream won’t exhaust the memory during playback. We’ll continue to test this on our end, however, we want to get this out sooner than later to ensure you all have a better experience! Please give that option a try and let us know if the channel exits stop. I’ll update this thread when the preview version is ready.

------

And:

------

We’ve released an update to the Plex preview channel - 7.12.4 FIXES: Video: add user preference to allow direct streaming 1080p MPEG2.

------

Update: it worked for me!

0 Kudos
skiguy

This also works for me on my Roku Ultra

THANK YOU!

Jim

0 Kudos
bohratom
Streaming Star

"Experimental 1080p MPEG2”. This sub option will allow direct streaming resolutions up to 1080p (again), but it should hopefully fix the memory issue. Without going into too much detail, we have found that using a different container to deliver the stream won’t exhaust the memory during playback."

I can also confirm this update is working fine on my Roku TCL 4K TV and mpeg2 is no longer transcoded and also no longer crashes.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.