Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMcKNJ

Roku subwoofer crackling and paper-tearing sounds

In late May or early June this year (2024), I bought a 55" Roku TV, the Roku Pro Streambar, 4 Roku surround speakers, and the 10" Roku subwoofer. They're great, except that the subwoofer sometimes makes loud crackling/popping noises and a shredding-paper kind of sound. The surround speakers sometimes make crackling noises, too. All of the components are wireless to the TV and are within 8' of the TV and each other.

Does this mean our subwoofer or some other part is broken?

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku subwoofer crackling and paper-tearing sounds

Hello! @JMcKNJ,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your contacting us regarding the crackling and paper-tearing sound issue with your Roku Subwoofer and Roku Wireless speaker. We are happy to help.

• Do you have any other devices connected to your TV aside from this Roku Sound system?
  • Is this happening on all content/channels, or is it isolated to one content/channel?
  • Is this the first time you have experienced this issue? If not, when did it start?

Before you begin troubleshooting, check the software version of your Roku host device using the following steps.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select System update
  5. Select Check Now. If a new software version is available, it will download and install any software updates and restart automatically when finished.

After checking for a software update, you are ready to troubleshoot your Roku subwoofer.

Your subwoofer is designed to be placed anywhere in the room within 30 feet of your Roku host device. Avoid installing your subwoofer near other wireless devices like your wireless router or a microwave. It is best to have a direct line of sight from your subwoofer to your Roku host device with no electronics, metal, or concrete obstructing the path. Move your subwoofer and try pairing it again.

Press and hold the Reset button on the back of your subwoofer for 10 seconds, and then try pairing again.

For your wireless speakers, restart both your Roku host device and wireless speakers by unplugging their power cables, or you can use the instructions below.

Roku StreambarRoku Streambar Pro, or Roku Smart Soundbar

• Press Home on your Roku remote
  • Scroll and select Settings
  • Select System
  • Select System restart

Wireless speakers

Press the Reset button on the back of each speaker

After your Roku host device powers on, it may take a couple of minutes to re-establish the connection with your wireless speakers.

Please keep us updated on any progress, and we will gladly continue to assist you further. 

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
coderroggie
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku speakers an making cracking and popping sounds

Still having the issue. Real annoying. Please, what are steps to fix? Otherwise, send a replacement?

0 Kudos
coderroggie
Binge Watcher

Does anyone actually not have this issue? This is crazy bad.

0 Kudos
coderroggie
Binge Watcher

This was $700 dollars in gifts that nobody has fixed or sent a refund for. Please address.

0 Kudos
PTznic9yet
Streaming Star

8 months with this issue for me. No resolution insight. Roku just doesnt seem to care. 

0 Kudos
coderroggie
Binge Watcher

These are some of the worst purchases I’ve made. I love all the Rokus I have. This stream at is worse than bad. It is embarrassing. To me. “Hey look at these cool speakers that cackle!!! Wow, awesome!!!!”

0 Kudos
PTznic9yet
Streaming Star

I unplugged mine. I hook them up, pair, and update about once a week to see if there's a fix.

0 Kudos
coderroggie
Binge Watcher

Hey Roku developers, when is a fix coming?

0 Kudos
coderroggie
Binge Watcher

Please!!!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.