Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farhan17

Roku is spontaneously turning on my TV and running ads

This has happened multiple times - my wife and I will be watching TV in bed, finish the show/movie, return to the Roku home screen, turn off the TV and start going to sleep.

Then, all of a sudden, flash and sound, and a #&&#@$# ad starts playing. We return to home screen, turn the TV back off, head back to sleep when BAM it happens again.

The ads have so far all been for Roku Channel stuff or the then current heavily sponsored ads on Roku.

It seems to be correlated to when I had earlier used my phone for remote listening from that Roku, but I've always been exited from the app.

As an experiment the most recent time I turned off the TV twice, ads brought it back both times, then I force-quit the Roku app on my phone and it didn't recur.

So I have one instance where force quitting the app on my phone made it stop.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this incredibly frustrating and disturbing behavior and/or if there's a way to prevent it.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Ceece
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku is spontaneously turning on my TV and running ads

I've got ads on my sleep screen now!  Way to go Roku! You can guarantee next time I won't be buying a Roku TV! Why would I buy such a device just so you can bloat yourself up at my expense while I'm #$&!$# sleeping! Got to ruin a good thing just so you can have another one or two pennies so your executives can go to Barbados for the 50th time

0 Kudos