Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JVC70

Roku channel won't play any titles

Hi, my Roku device won't play any titles in the Roku channel. It plays titles in other apps just fine. I have uninstalled the Roku channel, restarted the device, and reinstalled. I can choose the title, hit play, see a black screen, then "loading" for around two seconds, before it fails and goes back to the 'Play" screen. Is my device the problem, or is it the channel/software?

9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku channel won't play any titles

Where are you located?  It seems like Canadian users have more than their fair share of problems when trying to use The Roku Channel.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
nsstember
Reel Rookie

I have a similar issue.   I recently moved from the United States to the Faroe Islands (northern Europe) and for the most part my Roku 3 is working fine with the exception of the Roku Channel itself.  

The Channel shows as available, I can search titles inside the Channel but when I go to actually start any show or movie, it just flashes for a second and takes me back to the page where you start the show.

I've tried this with several show titles, and even the new "Weird Al" movie that was just advertised yesterday.   Again I can get to the main page of where the movie would launch, but when I press "play", it just flashes as if it's going to start the show, then goes back to that screen.

I only have this problem with the Roku Channel itself (other stations like Disney +, Prime Video, HBOMax, Netflix, etc are all fine).

When one of the shows I tried to watch didn't load (Space: 1999) it suggested I try the Shout Factory.  So I added that channel as suggested and that had the exact same issue.

Is the Roku channel just not available in Europe?

0 Kudos
JRW01

We're in southern Ontario, Canada and having the same 'no play' issues on the Roku channel as the others in this thread. Frustrating, as I can find no fix to this problem. I tried the correct restart procedures already.

We are in Virginia and we are having the exact same problem.  No problem with Netflix or Hulu, only Roku.  Tried to watch “Weird”and several other shows.  It acts like it’s going to play for a second then reverts back to the options.  

nsstember
Reel Rookie

So from what I'm hearing, this is a "Roku Channel" issue and not so much the fact that I'm in Europe issue.   Are they looking into this?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@nsstember, I would say it's because you're in Europe.

There's been other reports from people that had their Roku account set up in one country and then moved to another and the Roku Channel doesn't work.  It seems to be prevalent among people from Canada that have a US Roku account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mhyzon
Reel Rookie

This is happening to me as well.  I live in North Carolina and have a 3930X Roku Express, nothing on the Roku channel will play.   I'm also trying to watch "Weird", but I also tried to continue watching "Coraline" that my kid was watching a couple weeks ago and it has the same behavior.  I select "Play" or "Resume" and it says "Loading" then goes back to the movie/show selection screen.

I also tried to watch on my iPhone, but an error pops up "Please disconnect from your VPN in order to stream The Roku Channel".  I am not using a VPN.  I'm on TMobile home internet which is IPv6 only. It could also be that I have my own router and am double NAT-ting.  I'm even trying to watch on my computer and I'm getting an error in the web browser (Safari):

"An error occurred loading this page - Error: 451

Please try reloading the page or close the browser and open it again.

For more help, please visit Roku support."

However, all other channels (Netflix, Hulu, Paramount+, Youtube, etc) work just fine.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mhyzon

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into the issue for you, but will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mhyzon
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 

It looks like whatever the issue was for me last week has resolved.   My Roku Express, Roku app under iOS , and my computer all seem to play titles from the Roku channel correctly now.  

0 Kudos