Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anuruddha
Reel Rookie

Roku Streambar optical connection isn't working and sound options are missing from menu

Hi,

Recently I have setup a Roku Streambar. My TV is Sony Bravia KDL-32W705B. This TV doesn't support HDMI ARC but is supports HDMI CEC. I have plugged HDMI cable to HDMI MHL and connect supplied optical cable. But unfortunately I can hear sound only from Roku interface. I can't hear any sound from my Apple TV 4K or Amazon firestick 4K. I can hear sound when I chnage volume on any interface.  I have setup TV sound setting correctly to pass sound to soundbar. 

I can see red light in my TV Optical out port (without plugin) but not in Roku streambars optical in port (with or without plugin). Does that means my Roku streambar optical port faulty? I don't have another optical cable to test it.

Other issue is on Roku all sound options (Sound modes, Speech clarity, Volume modes,  are missing except basic ones (Menu Volume, Audio preferred language). What do you think guys?

Please help me guys.

Audio Options are missingAudio Options are missingSupplied Audio Optical CableSupplied Audio Optical CableSound is only in Roku interfaceSound is only in Roku interfaceNo Red light in Roku Streambar Optical portNo Red light in Roku Streambar Optical portTV Optical out has Red lightTV Optical out has Red light

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Streambar optical connection isn't working and sound options are missing from menu

Hi @Anuruddha,

Just wanted to say thank your for your first post in the Roku Community!

We would recommend taking a closer look at some additional information and troubleshooting here: How to set up your Roku Streambar with a non-Roku TV.

Please keep us posted if you find this helpful. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Anuruddha
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Streambar optical connection isn't working and sound options are missing from menu

Hi @RokuERey 

Thank you for your reply. I already did all those steps correctly. But I can't hear any sound from TV Tuner or any attached other streaming sticks. As I mention in my post I can't see Fiver Optic channel is working.  I can't see any red light in Roku Streambar even I plugged the cable or not. I can see the red light in the TV but I can't see it after I plugged the cable.

Please help.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Anuruddha
Reel Rookie

Hi,

My issue has resolved once I ordered a new Kenable Digital Optical cable from OnBuy. It fits well on TV and Roku Streambar. It looks like Roku optical  cable was damaged or not up to standard. It was very difficult to plug. I had to use extra force but it never plugged in correctly. But my new Kenable Digital Optical cable plugged without an effort. 

Now I can hear sound from TV, Amazon Firestick 4K and Apple TV 4K. But still Roku all sound options (Sound modes, Speech clarity, Volume modes  are missing except basic ones (Menu Volume, Audio preferred language). Please help me  guys?

PXL_20230813_104325190-ex1.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Anuruddha,

Thanks for keeping us posted and for sharing the resolution given to this case.

Please be aware that for speech clarity, you'll be able to navigate it during playback. When accessing content, press the * sign button on your remote to see the Sound settings.

Let us know if this helps you out!

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Anuruddha
Reel Rookie

Hi @RokuERey 

Thank you for your reply. Yes I can see Audio Options are there. Did Roku removed those Audio settings from Settings -> Audio

I took photos what I see on my screen once I press *. Please confirm everything is alright or not. 

I just read this article https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/360011704154 According to it we can set Sound settings from Settings -> Audio. But I don't have those options available in there. Is it only available in HDMI-ARC?

PXL_20230817_222405452-ex1.jpgPXL_20230817_222520049-ex1.jpgPXL_20230817_222504932-ex1.jpgPXL_20230817_222449173-ex1.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Anuruddha,

Thank you for keeping us updated!

We are grateful for the in-depth information provided regarding this. This is the newest addition to the Sound Settings menu. One of the reasons why they are transition alternatives from the main menu is because the sound quality of the content that is offered on the platform might vary greatly from one item to the next. This is therefore the explanation for why sound settings are only accessible during playback.

We truly hope that this information is of assistance to you!

Best regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BAO

That kinda sounds like malarkey to me. Can we get a solid answer as to why this sound bar doesn’t have the setting choice you claim it to have?  It seems vital to allowing me to use a better sounding alternative than the ROKU if I don’t have your fancy acronym riddled inputs. Where is the red digital audio light?  If there is no light,  am I to assume this thing is not intended to provide sound to any other object than another wireless ROKU speaker via wireless signal?  If no sound is intended to come from the television why is there a digital audio port on the ROKU?  

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BAO,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for the inquiry!

Please be advised that with a Roku Streambar Pro or Roku Smart Soundbar, you can also adjust the Virtual surround setting to create a spacious sound experience with everything you watch. Most Roku players have a light on the front of the unit. Under normal operation, this light is either off or white and may flash when you press buttons on your remote control. In addition to the HDMI cable, you need to connect an optical cable to your TV's optical output, sometimes labeled "Digital audio out" or "Digital output". This connection carries TV audio to your Streambar, while the HDMI connection delivers video from the streaming player in your Streambar to your TV

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please let us know.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.