Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Screen goes black frequently, but temporarily.

I've been experiencing fairly frequent blackouts, while watching both on the Roku Channel, and OTA stations, and on my TV, and on my computer, which leads me to believe, it's not just a TV hardware issue. It will just suddenly go black, allowing me to see the information as to the show & storyline, but nothing else. Sometimes it will resume playing if I cycle back and forth to the previous channel, sometimes if I just let it sit for a couple minutes, it will play again. What is going on?

I also am still having an issue with the streaming on my computer showing the screen as too dark, as well as occasional freezes, &/or buffering issues, unlike when I play videos from other sites.

And WHY do so many of the channels that say to hit the star/asterik button, to begin the film from the beginning, still take me to the beginning, without my hitting that button? It's very frustrating, for when it does that, it prevents me from viewing the channel guide, or using the return button to go back to the previous channel!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Screen goes black frequently, but temporarily.

Hi @StevenCee 

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having issues with your device. May we know when did you start having this issue? What specific Roku device is this? Also, could you provide a clip of the said issue?

Furthermore, as an attempt to fix the issue, we would highly recommend the following steps below:

1. Power-cycle your Roku player: unplug it from the wall power outlet and plug it back in.
  2. Remove the channel >> Restart the device (Settings > System > System Restart) >> Add channel.
  3. Update the channel by highlighting the app and pressing the star button on your remote.
  4. Restart your router.

Kindly keep us informed on what you find out.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuJanadeeK 
I've started having the issue of it sometimes going dark temporarily, in maybe the last couple months, but it's not a frequent occurrence. This happens primarily on my TCL Roku TV. I'm not sure what a clip would show, beyond a totally black screen. I can sometimes flip back to the previous channel, then back, for it to get back to the program, or just sit and wait a minute or two. It's also not just happening on one channel, but if I notice that one is doing it more often, I'll try removing it and adding it, however, this happens most frequently on some of the streaming channels on the Roku channel, so they aren't individually installed, but part of the Roku live channel.

I've restarted the modem and router several times, and it doesn't seem to affect the black outs.

The most ongoing issue is with streaming the live Roku channel, on my computer. The images are frequently almost too dark, to make out what's going on! I have no idea why this happens so often.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @StevenCee,

Thank you for keeping in touch here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about your streaming issues on your Roku TV. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue. 

Can you send us a photo of the running issue as our basis for determining it?

Your Roku TV system has multiple preset picture modes that adjust the appearance of the image to suit your preferences and viewing environment. Changing the picture mode may provide enhancements. In the meantime, kindly check out this support article on how to improve image quality using picture modes on your Roku TV system and follow the steps listed to see if it fixes the issue.

We'll be anticipating your update.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuEuniceL I think you confusing my two issues. The screen going completely black, happens on when streaming on my Roku TV, so it's not a hardware issue, nor is it got anything to do with how the settings are, for the picture, as the picture is fine, when the blackout ends, and on all the other channels. 
And seeing too dark a picture, occurs when streaming on my computer, so there are no settings for the image available, it's just streaming way too dark an image.

0 Kudos
Ja1122

My 43in TCL Roku screen is black

I have tried everything unplugged it factory reset and I can't seem the picture with a flash light 

0 Kudos
frmelroy
Reel Rookie

It's simple: Roku doesn't care. My screen goes black for a second or two frequently. NO OTHER device I have does it. It happens on every App on my Roku, Netflix, Max, Peacock, Discovery+, Paramount+, and every other channel on my Roku. I've put those pay channels on my other devices and there are no blackouts…none. That tells me one thing, IT'S ROKU!!  I'll NEVER buy another Roku device or Roku TV again. They ship faulty devices and do nothing to correct the massive blackout issues. 

StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuEuniceLSo, almost two months later, and no response? What's the point of informing you of issues, when it seems none ever are addressed? The Roku employees on this site only ask for more & more information, yet never get back with any solutions....

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

We appreciate all the precise details you have shared. Please know that we understand and share your sentiments regarding this. Our team is currently aware of this issue so kindly provide us with the following details of your device:

• Roku device or TV model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).

We're looking forward to your response.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.