Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhbusey
Reel Rookie

Restarting My Roku or basically rebooting it

Occasionally my tv will buffer like crazy with Roku.  Sometimes the audio does not match the video.  If I disconnect my Roku and wait for a couple of minutes, then restart it, everything is back to normal. Is my Roku defective????

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Restarting My Roku or basically rebooting it

Hello @jhbusey

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?

2. What Roku model device are you using? What kind of cables/cords are you using to connect to your TV?

3. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? How long has the issue been occurring?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
jhbusey
Reel Rookie

This happens on whatever channel I am watching.  I have Roku Express and I use whatever cables came with it.  Eventually I get no response from my remote.  So, I unplug my Roku Express and wait until it cools off.  That's another thing is that it also feels very hot. After a while I plug it back in and it works fine.

0 Kudos
jhbusey
Reel Rookie

The only trouble shooting that I have done is just unplugging the device.  The problem occurs about once a week.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the information @jhbusey.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
jhbusey
Reel Rookie

My Roku is plugged into the wall socket.  I think the overheating is the problem when our TV is on for a long time.  Thanks for trying to help.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @jhbusey

Roku devices tend to go warm since it's always plugged in. We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding this issue: https://support.roku.com/article/226794787

If this problem is not resolved, please let us know, along with any additional information you may have that would be useful for our team to investigate. Please include the serial number of your Roku device so that we can assist you further.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos