Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emikoala
Channel Surfer

Request for Roku to not exit the app when pressing Play

Jump to solution

Please, I'm so fed up with coming back to my RokuTV after pausing it, hitting Play/Pause on the remote to resume play, and instead, without any prompt to confirm that I actually want to exit my program, the app I'm using is forced close and I'm dumped on the home screen and asked to enter my pin to add some channel I don't want to add.

Why does Play/Pause function as the Pause button when I'm watching TV, but as the "click ad" button when my TV is paused, while the OK is button is normally the "click something" button but when I'm on pause becomes the Play button? Why can't Play/Pause just always be Play/Pause and use the OK button to click on screensaver ads? 

Also, why do I get a timed prompt to cancel if I click the Netflix button on my remote, or use a voice command to request a different app, but clicking on an ad while my TV is paused can eject me from my current app with no confirmation required? The unintuitive reversal of expected button functions wouldn't be nearly so bad if I could at least cancel these accidentally ad clicks before it closes the app I was using.

Please, please, I am begging you to do something about this. Make the Play/Pause button only Play and Pause.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I am literally begging Roku to not exit the app when pressing Play

Jump to solution

Never, ever press Play/Pause if a screensaver is active.  Press any other button and when your video appears again then you can press Play.  Some screensavers advertise other apps and you activate the advertised app by pressing Play/Pause.  Disable your screensaver or use one that doesn't advertise other apps.  Whether they intentionally added this horrible behavior to increase the likelihood that the ads get clicked is open for debate.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I am literally begging Roku to not exit the app when pressing Play

Jump to solution

Never, ever press Play/Pause if a screensaver is active.  Press any other button and when your video appears again then you can press Play.  Some screensavers advertise other apps and you activate the advertised app by pressing Play/Pause.  Disable your screensaver or use one that doesn't advertise other apps.  Whether they intentionally added this horrible behavior to increase the likelihood that the ads get clicked is open for debate.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos