Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cinefan
Channel Surfer

TCL TV - Did we lose the ability to remove on screen volume display with latest update?

My TV got version 10 of the software pushed to it yesterday.  I'd love someone to tell me that I'm just missing it, but I see nothing that addresses this problem.  What I'd been reading online made 10 sound like a major update, so I had gotten my hopes up a little.  I'm disappointed, but not really surprised at this point.  I suppose it's about time to give up hope that this will ever be fixed. 

27 REPLIES 27
NotYourIngenue
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL TV - Did we lose the ability to remove on screen volume display with latest update?

Things like this are what will cause me to actively avoid ever buying Roku or any other "smart TV" again.

I didn't really think about it when I got this one, otherwise I'd have gotten something else then, too.

All of my video comes from outside devices that do it FAR better than any Roku product ever has, and I don't need the TV second-guessing everything. 

0 Kudos
baldonetoo
Streaming Star

Re: TCL TV - Did we lose the ability to remove on screen volume display with latest update?

Cinefan,

Version 10 hasn’t pushed to my tv yet. Extremely disappointed that you don’t see evidence of a fix. Have you tried highlighting your receiver tile on the app main page and then hitting options? That’s where we used to be able to turn off the volume display before they broke it with version 9.3.

0 Kudos
cinefan
Channel Surfer

@baldonetoo I actually hadn't tried that as I was mostly looking around the CEC and eARC options, so thanks for the tip. But unfortunately all I see in the receiver-specific options are "Move input", "Rename input", "Remove input", "Re-enable hints & tips", and "Close". I'm at version 10.0.0 build 4185-88.

baldonetoo
Streaming Star

Oh well. Thanks for checking.

At this point it’s a lost cause. Multiple people from this thread (and who know how many others on their own) have had contact and conversations with Roku reps with promises to escalate and look into it. Now, two updates have come since it broke, like almost two years now and no fix.

Roku doesn’t care to address a simple fix that would make many existing customers happy then I don’t care to purchase their TVs in the future nor recommend them.

SpookyMan
Reel Rookie

Bummer just bought the TV today. 99% perfect, , was hoping this wasn't just me not finding the setting. Back to the store it goes! 

0 Kudos
wkoffel
Binge Watcher

I got an email today saying they believe this issue is fixed in the new v10.0 software revision.  Unfortunately, I went into the settings and can't find anywhere that it's been addressed.  Have others seen a change?

If this is still not fixed, then shame on them, both for not addressing it, but also because it means their customer support response was totally BS (like they were just spamming every open issue with the same template, regardless of whether it was really addressed, ugh that'd be seriously poor support behavior if true).

Specifically they said:

We have included many updates and fixes in our latest 10.0 software release that we believe should resolved this issue.

I've asked them to clarify with instructions on how to turn off the volume UI.

baldonetoo
Streaming Star

I received the same form email. Like you, I double checked all possible options and found nothing has changed since they rolled out 10.0 

I responded that we are aware that 10. Pushed through but nobody is seeing any functionality to get rid of the on screen volume.

They either do not fundamentally understand our complaint or some software engineer fed a line of **bleep** to customer support.

It is what it is for me at this point. I’ll never buy a Roku TV again but I’m currently stuck with what I’ve got.

SpookyMan
Reel Rookie

Definitely not the only one annoyed by it. 

Let's keep up the good fight. 

0 Kudos
BeenHacked
Binge Watcher

I did figure out a work around.  Have to turn cec off and tv speakers off. I no longer see OSD of volume display. It may not be for everyone though.  

0 Kudos