In the latest update, the removal of the Live TV 'Favorites' feature and the introduction of the Live TV 'Recent Channels' feature really make it more time consuming and frustrating to navigate Over The Air (OTA) channels via Live TV with the Roku remote control.
Before the update:
When customers selected Live TV, 'Favorite' channels appeared at the top of the screen, and 'all' channels were readily visible below the list of 'Favorites'. The customer could then select a channel from the 'Favorites' list, or could easily select a channel in the 'all' channels list further down on the same screen. No need to switch between screens/views. Simple. Fast. Easy to use and navigate.
After the latest update:
Now customers have to choose between viewing 'All Channels' or viewing 'Recent Channels'. Customers can't see 'recent channels ' and 'all channels' at the same time on the same screen/view. To switch between views customers have to:
1) Press the left scroll arrow multiple times until a prompt appears letting the customer know that the view can be switched by pressing the * button
2) Press the * button to bring up the option to switch the view
3) Select either 'All Channels' or 'Recent Channels'. That's the only options you get... display most recent channels, or display all channels.
4) Press OK
5) Select your channel
6) Now if you switched to a view that you don't really like as your default for Live TV, you need to go through the gyrations to switch it back.
How can this update be considered an improvement? It's way beyond frustrating and aggravating.
Why not show channels grouped like this on one screen:
- Recent OTA Channels ( Favorites)
- All OTA Channels
- Roku Streaming Channels
The functions to hide or show 'All Channels' and 'Streaming Channels' are already in the latest update. Add the option to hide or show 'Recent Channels'. With that approach you can configure which of the 3 groups you want to see on your main Live TV guide all on one screen. When you get there you see exactly what you configured with no need to go through the 6 steps I listed above every time you want to change a view.
Obviously the ability to hide/show individual channels would be nice too, but that's another topic and not in scope for this post.
Roku TV = A108X
TCL Model = 65R625
Serial Number = X00300R60RS9
Software version 9.4.0 Build 4200-88
Device ID = S053Y9960RS9