Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhiskAppIssue91
Channel Surfer

[OS 12.0] Flashes on TCL Roku TV

I just bought a 55 inch TCL Roku TV (55S555) and immediately after updating it, half of the apps continuously flash so bad every few seconds that it gives me a major migraine and feels like I'm about to have a seizure. The worst apps are ESPN and Paramount +. Some apps seem unaffected like Hulu and HBO Max.

I didn't pay for a roku tv only to have to get a new streaming device that actually works. If an update can break half of the features of this TV then what's the point? I have tried factory resetting, leaving picture settings alone, changing picture settings, going through brightness settings, unplugging and holding power button, etc.

From what I can gather it seems to be caused by the 12.0.0 update as it only affects certain apps and not HDMI connected devices. PS5, PS4, Switch through HDMI haven't had a single issue. TV is going back to Best Buy tomorrow and I'm not sure if I even want to try a new one. This is not the experience I was expecting after all the positive reviews and recommendations I researched before purchasing the 55S555.

3 REPLIES 3
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Update 12.0.0 broke brand new TCL Roku TV

Hi @WhiskAppIssue91

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

We understand that you are experiencing an issue after the update and we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We'd like to know more about how we can help. 

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Do you receive an error message or code?  What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?  In addition, can you please provide a video of the issue you are experiencing so we can understand what you are experiencing.

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
ctow71

Re: [OS 12.0] Flashes on TCL Roku TV

I'm experiencing the same thing even when I start my tv it's flashing on the right side.  Hulu is the only app I use and noticed the flashing on brighter scenes.

I have TCL 55R617 tv.  Only 4 years old so should not have hardware issues.  No HDMI cables are plugged in, just power.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [OS 12.0] Flashes on TCL Roku TV

Hi @ctow71,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you've been facing an issue when playing content on the Hulu channel and we would like to know how to identify and resolve any playback issues.

For us to better understand the issue you are experiencing, can you please provide us with the following information:

• When did this issue first start occurring?
  • Have you tried removing the channel that you are experiencing the issue with from the Roku home screen? Then, disconnect your device from power for a minute. Plug it back in, then try to add the channel back once more and see if this clears up the issue.
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a video of the issue you are experiencing?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos