Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenj67
Channel Surfer

ONN Roku TV 4K UHD 50 inch - My experience with picture quality and adjustment

I bought the 50 inch ONN on a Black Friday sale for a wonderful low price. I am mostly satisfied with the performance and have used Roku for a number of years. This ONN TV gave me some thoughts about returning it. My initial "tweaks" resulted in a picture that looked worse than the six year old Visio that it replaced! IMO, one of the most valuable features on a modern TV is the contrast and black levels. The reason why OLED TVs are so popular (and expensive) is the wonderful black levels/contrast. I couldn't get this ONN to look as good as my two older sets! Finding a suggestion in this forum I decided to reset the TV portion and try adjusting the picture again. I had better results the second time. I am looking for comments and suggestions where I might improve the picture even more. Here is a list of my current Picture settings:

TV Brightness - Brighter
Picture mode - Low power
Picture size - Auto (this set won't auto display 4K without coaxing!)
Dynamic contrast - High
Color temperature - Normal
Fine tune picture:
Backlight - 100
Brightness - 40
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 100 (this setting, surprisingly, does not degrade the picture!)
Color - 50

Please share your experience and any alternative settings which work well for you.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
kenj67
Channel Surfer

Re: ONN Roku TV 4K UHD 50 inch - My experience with picture quality and adjustment

After watching and analyzing the picture I found that setting Dynamic contrast to Off made for a more consistent and satisfying overall picture brightness.

Re: ONN Roku TV 4K UHD 50 inch - My experience with picture quality and adjustment

Thank you for this. I did change the Dynamic Contrast to "OFF" though. I get a more consistently better picture that way. Thank you for the tips though. 

0 Kudos
kenj67
Channel Surfer

Thanks for commenting! My settings have changed slightly.

Picture mode - Standard
Dynamic contrast - Off (as previously noted)
Brightness - 50

I purchased a Roku mini sound bar that sits just in front on the set and it makes a noticeable difference. It automatically turns on and off via the CEC function.