Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mary9124
Reel Rookie

Not getting my local channels with indoor digital antenna

I followed the procedure to set up antenna and then went to the channel guide.  It said I got 31 channels but I don't see my three local news channels.  I bought an antenna with a 80 mile range.  That is more than enough.  I looked everywhere and did searches.  I even ran the set up antenna procedure a second time.  Should I go back to store and exchange for another antenna?  I live in Baltimore County region.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Not getting my local channels with indoor digital antenna

Indoor antennas rarely work due to obstructions. This has nothing to do with your Roku TV by the way. You can try moving the antenna to the window. Some actually stick to the window.  Is this a TCL? Hisense or Sharp? Before you got an antenna did you see what was available in your area? An outdoor or roof mounted antenna are usually the best. But again it all depends where you live and what is blocking your signal. Even if you bought an 80 mile range unless it has a clear line of sight it will be useless. Similar to a cell phone signal. In the end antennas don't work for most people. You could look into a live TV streaming service such as YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, DirecTV Stream and FuboTV. Yes those aren't free like OTA channels. But if you live in an apartment, condo or have an obstructed view for your antenna it won't work. I also know you can manually enter channels into your line up. 

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

https://support.roku.com/article/115005469427

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Mary9124 

Dirty little secret. Many antenna companies will lie about their reception range. There is no way an indoor antenna will pick up 80 miles. A good outdoor antenna 30 feet above the ground will not reach over 70 miles.

Also, there are three frequency bands on which station broadcast: Low VHF (2-6), High VHF (7-13), UHF (14+). Many indoor and outdoor antennae are simply UHF, but you can find combination antennae. Additionally, many stations, as part of the channel repacks, actually moved their true radio frequency, but still identify as the old frequency.

In Baltimore:

WMAR channel 2 is actually broadcasting on channel 27 (UHF).

WJZ channel 13 is actually broadcasting on channel 11 (High VHF)

WBAL channel 11 is actually broadcasting on channel 12 (High VHF)

None in your area actually broadcast on their commonly known channels (virtual channels) but their true channels are all either UHF or High VHF. If you antenna doesn't pick up High VHF, you won't get good signal from those stations.

Most of the towers are in Woodbury, so that's the location from which you must measure distance.

Here are a couple of Websites that will help you determine what to expect.

https://www.antennaweb.org/

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

And none will give you a straight answer, because of the number of factors involved, including but not limited to height, distance, obstacles, house wiring, and many many other things.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Streamer317
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  Exactly. Those ranges and available channels are ONLY "in a perfect world". If you live in an apartment and your signal is blocked by another building then no antenna will work. 

Bigmaneric973
Reel Rookie

I just replaced an existing TV with a new Hisense 40" TV. Same Antenna that didn't move. One group of stations in our area is UHF and those stations are no longer available, although they were with the older TV. This tells me there is something in the tuner that is different in the fact it may not handle UHF signals very well since they tend to be harder to tune in. They are not necessarily weaker signals, just harder to tune since the higher the frequency they shorter the signal will travel. Think about how the bass part of song can be heard further away than the high end of the song.  Not sure if this is something Roku can or is interested in working on or not.

I do understand how broadcasting a signal works, I used to be a broadcast engineer for a group of radio stations, And I do wireless communications as well on networking using microwave communications for long distances.  Not everywhere has fiber.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Bigmaneric973,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your inquiry. We'd like to know more about it so we can further assist you. Is your Hisense TV a Roku TV? If not, what Roku device are you connecting to your Hisense TV? Please be advised that if it's not a Hisense Roku TV, you'll need to reach out to the Hisense Roku TV support for more assistance since a Roku device being connected to a Hisense TV does not do anything with the over-the-air local channels. If it is a Hisense Roku TV, kindly check out this support article on how to set up and watch live TV on your Roku TV system.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bigmaneric973
Reel Rookie

It is a Hisense Roku TV. We also have an ONN Roku tv as well that doesn't have the UHF channels, but does get weaker VHF channels. I'll look at some these links, but I'm pretty sure it's something with the tuner.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Mary9124
Reel Rookie

My problem is fixed.

0 Kudos