Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisbrown2022
Channel Surfer

No audio from desktop computer to Roku TV, video perfect!

I just bought a brand-new 32" RCA Roku TV to replace my previous smaller desktop computer monitor.

Roku TV model: RTR3265-CA.

Desktop computer: HP P7-1054 (computer runs smoothly, all drivers up-to-date).

For video: HDMI (Roku TV side panel) to VGA (back of my desktop) cable, 1080p video runs perfectly!

For audio: brand-new 3.5mm (jack at the back of the desktop, no HDMI slot for the desktop) to red & white (RCA slots at the back of the RCA TV) audio cable.

To set the audio on the desktop computer (Windows 7): Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Sound -> four options:

- AMD HDMI Output, AMD High Definition Audio Device, Not plugged in,

- Speakers, Realtek High Definition Audio, Ready, Set Default option,

- Headphones, Realtek High Definition Audio, Ready, Set Default option,

- Realtek Digital Output, Realtek High Definition Audio, Set Default option.

Perfectly getting audio only when using the Headphone option with a regular audio cable from the desktop to an external audio system (unfortunately no remote control for the external audio system, manually adjusting the audio).

No audio when setting default for Speakers or Realtek Digital Output options, green bars up and down when playing anything on the desktop (Live TV or YT videos) , therefore audio is coming from the desktop computer!

TV speakers working properly when using the Antenna TV channels (OTA channels) so very good audio for the Antenna TV channels, with its own remote control I can easily higher or lower the volume or mute it all together!

Why this particular RCA ROKU TV monitor rejects the audio properly coming from the desktop monitor?

Any solution on how to get audio from the desktop computer to the RCA ROKU TV monitor?

Or maybe a TV defect, should I return it back to Walmart where I bought it from?

And no, I do not have another desktop computer and my laptop does not have the proper audio slots to work with the 3.5mm audio cable and no intention on buying an HDMI-to-HDMI audio cable just to test the audio coming from my laptop onto the RCA ROKU TV!

Thank you very much for reading my long post and maybe helping out on this very annoying issue!

Chris B.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No audio from desktop computer to Roku TV, video perfect!

It's not going to work like you want it, you can't get video from one input while getting the audio from another. No current tv can do that. What you want is an outboard device to collect the vga and 3.5mm audio, then convert it to hdmi. Like the following:

Amazon.com: VGA to HDMI, GANA 1080P Full HD Mini VGA to HDMI Audio Video Converter Adapter Box with ...

And then you want to set your computer to "Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
chrisbrown2022
Channel Surfer

First off, thank you for the reply, Edmund.

But I disagree, let me explain.

My previous LG TV & computer monitor that lasted 11 years had an 3.5mm audio jack where I easily connected an 3.5mm-to-3.5mm audio cable from the 3.5mm audio jack at the back of my same desktop computer and used its remote control for the audio (video cable is the same one), this RCA TV & computer monitor does not have such 3.5mm audio jack!

My guess is that it was built to work with newer desktop computers that have a built-in HDMI port so ignoring ordinary ppl who love using older desktop computers that work pretty smoothly!

Moreover, that type of audio kit you made reference to requires an additional HDMI-to-HDMI cable that you have to buy separately!

Personally, I'm not into spending more money on this very issue, all I wanted is to control the audio coming from the computer with RCA's remote control as the external audio system I'm using to get the computer audio does not have its own remote control!

This particular 32" Made-in-China RCA TV & Computer monitor was very cheap (less than $200), no idea if I can find a similar 32" 1080i dual TV & Computer monitor with a built-in 3.5mm audio jack not one cent more expensive than this one and also have no time and gas money to drive around from store-to-store looking for another TV!

Walmart offers a 60-day full refund so I have enough time to decide if I return it for full refund or keep it and use it in its current configuration!

Thank you for the effort of replying to my post!

Stay well.

Chris

0 Kudos
chrisbrown2022
Channel Surfer

At the back and very bottom of the RCA Roku TV there are three RCA-type slots, two for audio, Red and White, and one for Video, maybe Yellow, how would you use them in order to get audio coming from the computer?

Otherwise, why this TV has those built-in RCA-type slots if they are totally useless?

Thank you.

Chris

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

The rca input is called AV, if it isn't visible on the home screen it has to be activated through input settings:

settings> Tv Inputs> Inputs not used> AV> set Input

You can change its name, and icon if you wish.

If you don't want hdmi convertor, get vga to rca instead:

Amazon.com: LIPOVOLT VGA to AV RCA Composite Converter Adapter Box with Audio PC to TV : Electronics

Edmund

chrisbrown2022
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the reply.

The entire issue is simply b/c this particular TV set has not been built with a 3.5mm audio jack like my previous LG TV computer monitor where I had no issues getting the video via the current VGA-to-HDMI video cable and audio via a regular 3.5mm-to-3.5mm audio cable so I was able to control the audio with LG TV's remote control!

Anyhow, if I'll have time I'll get a cable like this one from an electronics retailer with a physical store in my area, for personal reasons I do not do business with Amazon:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/satellitesale-auxiliary-3-5mm-audio-video-jack-to-3-rca-digital...

Now the very last question: is the video quality using this type of cable a) same like using the VGA-to-HDMI video cable which I think is the highest crystal clear video quality or b) lower video quality?

Thank you.

Chris

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

A Roku tv is just that a TV, it is not a computer monitor. Computer monitors have inputs that computers have outputs of plain and simple. I have used a regular tv for internet for over 20 years. First it was used with webtv built-in to my UltimateTV Directv dvr receiver combo. After that I got my first computer that had hdmi output, so it was hooked up to my tv. I am writing this from my recliner looking up at my TCL Roku tv up on the wall.  A foot away I have second computer hooked up to real computer monitor, neither computer nor the monitor have sound. So, I'm using Roku Streambar as a computer speaker. I have 3.5mm patch cord going to convertor to change it to optical output, since the Roku Streambar has optical input. Both of my computers only have DisplayPort's, so in each case I use DisplayPort to hdmi cable. 

Edmund

chrisbrown2022
Channel Surfer

My very last post: I have no choice but to stick with my current audio configuration using my SIRIUSXM boombox aux-in 3.5mm jack as the external audio source https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/siriusxm-stratus-6-boombox-bundle/6000016950732 (sadly it came with no remote control) as only an idiot will spend more money on a cheap Made-in-China TV set!

Thank you!

Chris

0 Kudos