Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paimon9

Need help with Roku talking in sleep

I just got a new Roku, fell asleep watching tv on Hulu app. More than once, the tv screen went dark at some point while I was sleeping, and I woke up to the tv talking softly. I can NOT figure out what is playing. When I turn the screen back on, it's on the home screen. The content was the same on at least 2 separate occasions, and it was really weird. It was not a voice guide. It was a guy talking like he was narrating a baseball game, saying here's the pitch, but not really continuing on with an actual game, just repeating a skit that's meant to sound like a sports narration. What is this? Why was it doing that and how do I make it stop.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Need help with Roku talking in sleep

Hello @paimon9

Welcome to the Roku Community.

Please check if the Screen reader on your Roku device settings is turned off. There are a few possible troubleshooting steps we can try to resolve the issue. Restart your device: Unplug your device from power for at least 10 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on.

To disable Closed Captioning/Subtitles on Roku, click on Settings/Accessibility/Screen reader /[Off]. Click on this link for more information: https://support.roku.com/article/231584647
When watching material, you can access the Accessibility menu by pressing the * star button on Roku remote four times.

You may also need to dig more into the channel/app options or settings menu you are watching, since they sometimes do override Roku settings.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.