Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhcp07190
Reel Rookie

My insignia roku tv keeps crashing

It seems to happen more often with HBO max, but in general my roku tv is running very slowly and when I try to watch a streaming service it plays some of the movie or show and then will randomly lag and then stop and crash and kick me back to the home screen 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: My insignia roku tv keeps crashing

@rhcp07190

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku brand and model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rhcp07190
Reel Rookie

Roku Tv: 5406x

insignia model: NS-48DR510NA17

serial number: 2N008Y484854

device ID: 78A668484854

software: 10.0.0 build 4209-20

it lags even on the Home Screen, but this has happened with all channels it seems to be worse with HBO Max. The version for HBO max is 50.13 build 3.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@rhcp07190 

May be inherent to the Insignia.  Mine can be slow to respond, get sluggish, and will similarly close channels sometimes. (Infrequently, but does occur.) Have found that when exiting channels, best to use Back button when available as opposed to using Home button.  I think it is a memory resource issue with these.

When this does occur, I perform a System Restart which seems to help for awhile.  Settings..System..Power...System Restart.

Also try doing a manual system update.  See if yours is updateable to build 4213.

Settings...System..System Update...Check Now (press OK, this should update OS and any available channels)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jpearl

Same here, my Insignia Roku crashes every time I use HBOmax, often on Netflix and Tubi, and once in a while on Hulu (almost never on Youtube). For most apps, I now have to run them on my laptop and use an HDMI; it's pretty infuriating to have a smart TV that doesn't work as a smart TV.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jpearl 

I bought the Insignia RokuTV because I needed a new kitchen TV and it was on sale for about $80 at Best Buy.  After using the various Roku player devices, I would certainly choose now to buy a standard TV and connect a seperate Roku device to it rather than the incorporated RokuTV.   That is how the rest of my house has been setup and never a problem with the slow response, intermittent crashes, etc.  The insignia RokuTV is fine for how I use it, but would be frustrating if it was my main TV.

My main Mitsubishi DLP TV was smart for its time, came with Vudu only, though.  They through in a Blu-Ray player that streamed Neflix, somewhat.

I believe the consensus is that the HBO Max Channel/app is not ideally coded for the Roku as users also experience problems with it across other Roku devices (believe HBO is simply revamping entire app in a future build from what I understand).  As for Tubi and Netflix, they should be able to stream properly though.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

I run Discovery + primarily the majority of time. It often crashes and lags. Never have used HBO app. Sometimes it crashes multiple times while watching a show or movie, very infuriating.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @bethanncompnott

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

In some cases, removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Mkfincher

Mine does the same thing with many apps. Everything is delayed and will just cut off while streaming. Also Netflix never works correctly and is always loading. I have another smart tv and the roku is separate and never has this issue at all so it isn’t my connection and I’ve checked the updates all the time and it’s always updated to the current. I’d love help in getting this fixed. I’ve considered just getting a separate roku and connecting but not sure it will fix the issue or just getting a new tv but I hate to do that. 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mkfincher

Thank you for the inquiry!

Does the issue only occur on specific or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Have you tried removing the affected channel and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Keep us posted if you have any further queries that we can assist with.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos