Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tommy302

My TCL roku tv boots into an apparently frozen home screen, any tips on how to fix?

Recently my tv has been rebooting periodically, and when it boots and shows the home screen, the screen doesnt update even though it apparently receives remote button inputs. power and volume changes appear, but navigating the ui shows nothing. channel-specific buttons for things like hulu/disney+/netflix/etc launch those channels which appear on screen, and turning on consoles/other devices switches to those hdmi inputs automatically, so the tv firmware is able to do something at least.

Is there anything i could do to troubleshoot this and fix the problem? I doubt its a hardware thing given everything ive mentioned, and the tv is > 1yr old so probably out of the support window. Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My TCL roku tv boots into an apparently frozen home screen, any tips on how to fix?

Once you're in a channel/app, does the remote work properly?  To rule out some kind of strange remote problem you might want to take the batteries out of the remote (if possible) and use the Roku app on your phone as a remote.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

The random rebooting would have me concerned, but if you can't navigate the menus to check for updates you'd have to try the USB drive update approach.

How to use USB to update your unconnected Roku TV™ | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuMaresa
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My TCL roku tv boots into an apparently frozen home screen, any tips on how to fix?

Hi @tommy302 

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We are here to help you fix the issue with your TCL Roku TV frozen home screen.

If you cannot control your Roku TV or it is completely unresponsive, you can perform a factory reset using the physical Reset button on the Roku TV.

1. Located on the back or bottom of your Roku TV, the physical Reset button is either tactile or a pinhole design that requires a straightened paperclip
  2. Once you locate the Reset button and your Roku TV is powered on, press and hold the button firmly for about 10 seconds. When the factory reset is complete, an indicator light or status LED will blink rapidly on most Roku devices.

For additional troubleshooting, please refer to this article: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device.

Hope this helps. Just keep us posted!

All the best,

Mares

MaresH.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos