Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdr035
Reel Rookie

Multiple apps just freeze when going to ads on Roku TV

Specifically noticing this with MLB.tv and Paramount Plus.  App just freezes and crashes.  I experience the same problem when casting to my Roku TV, but I can watch on my phone just fine.  It's like the Roku can't play the ads.  I have personalized ads turned OFF in Roku settings.  TV is a TCL 50S451 Roku TV running software version 11.5.0 (Software Build 4781-CG). Internet is plenty fast for HD streaming.

EXTREMELY frustrating- these apps are just unwatchable and I pay for them both. I have gone through the delete-restart-reinstall protocol. The TV and all apps are up to date. I don't run ad blocking software. HELP.

48 REPLIES 48
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Multiple apps just freeze when going to ads

Hi @pdr035

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

We apologize to hear about your experience with the ads on your Roku device. We have users who reported restarting a Roku device along with the router helps them resolve the issue. Could you try this on your end? We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System restart.

Please let us know if this help. 

Regards, 
Nimfa 

0 Kudos
pdr035
Reel Rookie

No luck. My playback freezes on the ad break and I have to exit the app. Playback is impossible. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@pdr035 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
pdr035
Reel Rookie

In my original post I mentioned my Roku TV model number.  I am using a Roku TV plugged into the wall. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@pdr035

Thank you for response. 

The problem may be due to a slow network caused by a poor wireless signal, issues with your router, or the quality of your internet service. Review the tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku device. Check that your internet package provides speeds fast enough for streaming audio and video.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku TV to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if it helps? 

Let us know if there's any difference after. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
conradmcg

I have this same exact problem with a Roku TV.  Happens at every commercial break.  Have to exit the game, restart the game and usually it works until the next commercial break.  Happens on both of my TV's.  Internet is fiber, 300Mbps, and hard wired.  That is not the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @conradmcg,

Thanks for the post.

If you are experiencing freezing issues specifically when ads are playing on your Roku device, there are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

• Clear cache and data of the affected apps: Clearing the cache and data of the apps that are freezing can sometimes resolve the issue. To do this, go to "Settings" > "System" > "Advanced system settings" > "App Manager" > select the affected app > "Clear cache" and "Clear data".
  • Update the affected apps: Ensure that the affected apps are up to date. Go to "Settings" > "System" > "System update" > "Check now" to check for available updates.
  • Disable personalized ads: If the issue persists, you may want to disable personalized ads on your Roku device. To do this, go to "Settings" > "Privacy" > "Advertising" > "Limit ad tracking" and turn it on.

We hope it helps!

Warm Regards,
Lianna

mjackson71
Reel Rookie

I am experiencing the same thing when watching anything on the Roku channel.  Four or five commercials, then freeze.  I go back to the shows home screen and resume viewing, then another four or five commercials; sometimes the show resumes, sometimes it freezes at the end of the ad.  This happens on multiple TVs and I have already done a Roku System restart.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @mjackson71!

We sincerely apologize for any trouble and inconvenience this may have caused you. 

No worries. We'd be more willing to forward your concern to the appropriate Roku team for additional reinforcement and to review this issue further. Kindly provide us the following details below, as requested by the team, for us to investigate effectively:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Is it happening on Live TV or on-demand shows? 

We'll be anticipating your response as we are more than eager to find you the best resolution possible. In the meantime, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos