Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
120inna55
Binge Watcher

Re: Motion Smoothing Issues on new TCL

For the record, I've never installed a screensaver.  I just had a look and I can see that I have 7 screensavers on the TV.  None of which can be removed.  They are all bloat/stock. The one that's enabled is the "Movie Magic" one, and I think it's set to come on at 10 min.  However, I'm never in the Roku that long to trip the the screensaver.  I watch everything through an AV receiver (satellite, android box, etc.).  I, too, experienced the motion smoothing at least on 3 occasions.  The first one was resolved with a factory reset, then I learned that just a system restart resolves it, so I did that on the last 2 occasions.  I have not had the motion smoothing problem for a long time, now (knock on wood), but I'm not one that can say the screensaver was the culprit.

While the Roku apps were novel, because of the motion smoothing issue, I avoid going into the Roku software.  I certainly don't use YouTube and other streaming apps as others have seemed to find a relationship with those and the motion smoothing.  My streaming apps are readily available on my Android box (SHIELD TV), so I really have no reason to venture into the Roku for those.  I feel certain that if the Roku higher-ups knew people might be avoiding their software for such a reason, they'd find a fix or get new engineers.

0 Kudos
tsunami231
Roku Guru

I have 7 SS installed and one active Roku | Movie Magic (City Stroll) but it rarely if ever triggered.

I Avoid using Roku App threw TV when possible and dont stream anything via the roku apps anymore. So far as far as I can tell The issue has not "reappeared" and I can actual see difference between "off" and "low" and  "low" and "med" and "med" and "high"

Not fan effect Motion smoothing has on the image "unnatural movements" nor do like artifact it leave behind fast moving options which why I have it off on pretty much all input and all possible pictures settings. so when it glitchs I turns on I know it on.

There was reports that happen HDR  dark is used in this topic? few pages back? but like said I have all picture setting on all inputs including all the HDR setting set to off, and so far has not came back. and I hope it dont.

Roku software controlling tv and it functions and all software update coming from roku them self is recipe for trouble. The update should come from manufacturer them self after they test the software with there products, which why this is first set of Roku TV i bought and last set.

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@120inna55 wrote: I'm never in the Roku that long to trip the the screensaver.  I watch everything through .... While the Roku apps were novel, because of the motion smoothing issue, I avoid going into the Roku software.  

Unless I've misunderstood something, you and @tsunami231 should consider factory resetting your Roku TV, but during the setup, tell it you'll connect to internet later (but, never do).

If you guys aren't using the tv's "smartness," you don't need it. The non-network version of Roku is simpler, lighterweight. You might not get the screensavers and other bloatware. (Plus, your protected from Roku's famously untested software updates that could break your tv.). I've seen people say they fixed their lip-sync problem by streaming through HDMI with a different device. Same thing. No reason to have all the network overhead (and update risk).

The only downside I can think of is that the antenna tv interface doesn't have a guide (but, that's balanced by it having favorites again, and continuous channel changing.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Motogeek33
Reel Rookie

Also for the record... since removing Aquatic Life, we still haven't seen smoothing come back on its own, so I definitely would blame that screensaver's behavior of enabling smoothing for itself and not changing it back when the screensaver ends.  We went back to the scrolling Movie Magic one, which has activated many times in the past several weeks, and it never activates smoothing.

turbomission
Channel Surfer

Just as another data point, I've never had the aquatic screen saver on my 75" 2019 model Roku TV, but I've still had the issue occasionally.

I have had the aquatic screen savor on my downstairs TV hooked up to a stand-alone Roku Ultra box, and never had an issue.

tsunami231
Roku Guru

This **bleep** still happens and I pretty sure there GUI use that motion smoothing **bleep**

On my end it seem thave something to do with HDR going on and off? cause of late that the only time i see get glitched, and not SINGLE HDR mode on TV even has that Motion smoothing **bleep** on.

NEver again am I buying a TCL TV or any TV that Roku Based, this is just ridiculously

0 Kudos
turbomission
Channel Surfer

I hear you. For me, it's just a minor annoyance, since it's only happened a few times, and has always been fixed with a reboot. But for somebody who doesn't know how to fix it, or even realize something's going on making their shows look strange, it would be a real problem.

I've had two higher-end Samsung TV's that developed large dark blotches across the screens, a beautiful 65" Vizio that randomly blinks/blanks the screen on HDMI inputs, and now this TCL with the weird motion smoothing issue. Of the three brands, I'd say the TCL's problem is the least problematic, but it is kind of depressing that buying a TV is such a crapshoot these days.

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

@turbomission wrote:

I hear you. For me, it's just a minor annoyance, since it's only happened a few times, and has always been fixed with a reboot. But for somebody who doesn't know how to fix it, or even realize something's going on making their shows look strange, it would be a real problem.

I've had two higher-end Samsung TV's that developed large dark blotches across the screens, a beautiful 65" Vizio that randomly blinks/blanks the screen on HDMI inputs, and now this TCL with the weird motion smoothing issue. Of the three brands, I'd say the TCL's problem is the least problematic, but it is kind of depressing that buying a TV is such a crapshoot these days.

I've bought a ton of electronics over the years ranging from TVs, soundbars, home theater receivers/separate speakers, guitars, guitar amps, you name it.  I currently have four TCL TVs, one Hisense, three soundbars from LG, TCL, and Vizio, and a bunch of other stuff.  I've also done a lot of reading, researching reviews, looking up reports of issues, and I'm convinced that modern electronics are essentially cr@p and are almost all full of problems.  Even the higher-end TVs in the $1500+ price range have all kinds of reported problems.  Soundbars from Sonos, Nakamichi, etc...  full of problems.  Just as many as my less expensive and mid-priced soundbars. 

My "expensive" TCL TV, a 65R635, has more problems than my less expensive series-4 ones.  

Basically, they're all built to maximize profits at the expense of quality.  Poorly developed software that isn't tested adequately, hardware built by the lowest bidder without regard to quality or functionality, very limited interoperability testing and development, etc..etc... 

I've already decided that I won't buy any more TCL products but I've yet to see any brands of TVs or TV-related gear that don't have at least as many reported problems.  They all have different problems but the common element is that they all have problems.  It's really a lottery. 

All you can do is hope the one you get is one of the lucky ones without problems, or if it does have problems, look for solutions and use the internet to bring attention to it in the hopes that it motivates the manufacturers to improve their products. 

0 Kudos
Jegyed1
Channel Surfer

My older Samsung and Panasonic Plasma's never had an issue. But then they are "Stupid" TV's. Cannot say the same for LG. As far as the smoothing, I have not had it return since the last software update.

0 Kudos
Grsig
Channel Surfer

While the motion smoothing problem still exists on all the roku streaming apps on the tcl TV even now, since the last update it doesn't appear to carry over to the other inputs anymore. So after all this time, it seems to be partially fixed. Streaming still looks like garbage, but at least I don't have to reboot or reset my TV to watch something else.

Still sucks that the smart features of this smart TV are useless though.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.