Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Live tv pause not working

With a usb drive inserted for live tv pause ota will stop and channel info will pop up, sometimes it happens every 5-10 seconds, sometimes it will be every 30- 60 minutes, there doesn't seem to be any set pattern. I've tried three different drives, two of which were the recommended 16gb 2.0 (third was 64gb 3.0) and all had the same problem, it doesn't happen when the usb drive is removed. I've seen this problem reported elsewhere on the forum and the web, but didn't see any specific post here in the forum.

Roku tv C105X

Model 5OS425

Software version 9.2.6

Build 4132-93

76 REPLIES 76
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Live tv pause not working

Removed

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, i gave that a go and it's still there when just removing/reinserting, but removing/reformatting to fat on a comp and then reinserting and letting Roku reformat does fix it for 2-3 hours with the 16gb 2.0 drives, doesn't make a difference on the 64gb 3.0 drive though, problem pops back up right away even after reformatting.

boogernose
Roku Guru

REMOVED

they melded posts that had little to do with each other.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
JDH2

I've never had luck with live TV pause. Any time I've tried to use it, I'm able to play my paused program for a few minutes and then it inexplicably jumps forward to the actual "live" tv moment and I'm unable to rewind. When I press rewind, I can see the cache is still there and the images of what I'd like to rewind to (the part of the show I was actually watching) - but no luck.

I've given up on Roku getting this right. The function simply doesn't work. I'm using the recommended USB drive/specs, etc. I'm an IT professional and, IMHO the problem is with Roku.

Darkeyez
Reel Rookie

Same here. I thought my antenna was busted but with all the LiveTv Pause issues I decided to try pulling out the USB stick and my channels came back. I've gone through 4 USB sticks already. They all work great for a couple months then it starts getting buggy before completely failing. 

The jump-ahead issue described in the last post, I noticed that only happens when I rewind all the way to beginning of the cache. If i stop about 1 minute before it reaches the beginning (so like 89 minutes back) it won't bug out on me and I can catch up. 

I love the feature, though and the USB sticks are cheap. Just hope Roku (or TCL in my case) will perfect this. Maybe upgrade the function, too? 

0 Kudos
klsedina
Reel Rookie

Same here. My TCL Roku Smart TV blacks out with info showing every 6 minutes, annoying! Been on the phone for hours with Roku, TCL, and Target. They all claim I'm the only one having the problem.

0 Kudos
Darkeyez
Reel Rookie

Quick fix is to pull out the USB stick if you're using one. Best to get a new one if you want to keep using live TV pause. Seems this feature corrupts the USB drives after a while, or could be the USB drives are just no good. 

0 Kudos
CABurchfield
Channel Surfer

I too have this exact problem on my TCL Roku televisions.  I have two TCL and an Insignia, all are Roku TV's.  I never have any issues with my Insignia only the TCL units. My 55 inch TCL is now on it's 4th flash drive since I purchased the TV in July, 2019.  I have contacted TCL support and explained the problem to the first line technician.  I am currently waiting on next level tech to call.  In my case the pause live TV stops working after about 3-4 months.  The flash drive gets damaged and the only option is to buy a new flash drive.  Again, never any problem with my Insignia brand Roku TV. 

SteveJB
Channel Surfer

Same here.  Have a TCL Roku TV where the pause, backup stopped working.  It's about 1 1/2 years old.  Rebooted the TV, removed and reinserted the USB drive, rescanned and used the setup pause Live tv option again.  still not working.   Sharp Roku Tv is working just fine.    Guessing that it's the USB drive.   Don't currently have a spare to use.  any other thoughts?