Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live TV Does Not Load Without Connection

We have a cottage that only has internet with a mobile hotspot but we have a large roof antenna that picks up ~50 channels from 3 surrounding cities. I don't leave it connected so my kids don't go through the initial 50gb of 5G and reconnect when we watch a movie.  It works fine without the connection but then, suddenly, it seems to stop. I think it's when the TV turns off/reboots rather than going into standby.  Live TV still shows up, and connects as default action when turning it on, but it just freezes on the Live TV icon (image). If I try to set up Live TV, it does the same thing. However, if I connect my hotspot, Live TV starts working fine but eventually stops loading again (again, assuming after reboot).

I assume factory reset will work but I'm not the only one using it and my in-laws are not able to set it up every time it stops working and they don't use a hotspot. This appears to be a flaw in design where maybe it's trying to download channel info because it was able to previously and doesn't break out of a loop when it is unable to connect. I would think it would check if netconn = false, loadLiveTv = true and skip whatever it's doing on a full TV Reboot.

Info:

TV:  Sharp LC-50LB481U

HW ID:  5318X

SW VERSION:  13.0.0, build 2406213

1000005780.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Live TV Does Not Load Without Connection

The OTA part of Roku TVs seems to be screwed up and it relies too heavily on an Internet connection (see all the threads about OTA channels going missing after connecting most likely because the downloaded guide data is missing those channels).  I think waiting for Roku to fix something is a fool's game, so you may want to look into another alternative:

Factory reset the TV and set it up without an Internet connection (essentially, it will be a "dumb" TV).  Use the TV for OTA channels and then use a separate Roku device connected to the TV when you want to stream.  An added benefit is that you don't have to worry about a forced update screwing up your TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.