Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LFL03
Channel Surfer

I’m getting a "HDCP Error Detected" while casting video from Mobil device

I’m watching a movie from my Apple iPad. I try to cast it to my Roku TV, but the option to cast doesn’t show the Roku TV, only my Vizio TV in the next room. So I mirror my Mobil device screen to the Roku TV & after 30 secs I get this error message 

"HDCP Error Detected" 

I’m not using a HDMI cable. In fact, there are no HDMI cables plugged into the TV. Why am I getting this error? How can I fix it?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: I’m getting a "HDCP Error Detected" while casting video from Mobil device

Hi @LFL03

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

Let us help you resolve the error message you are seeing. To clarify, are you casting or screen mirroring your iPad using AirPlay? Have you tried restarting your Roku device and reconnecting the connection from your iPad to the Roku device? Does this issue occur when viewing a specific page (movie/tv show/application) on your iPad? 

Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimda

0 Kudos
LFL03
Channel Surfer

Yes - I’ve tried switching my network settings from my primary network to my secondary network, & I’ve switched them  back. I’ve turned the TV & iPad on & off. The casting seems to work well when watching Amazon Prime videos. But the error occurs when watching Disney+ & Paramount videos. Why should it make a difference what I’m streaming? 

0 Kudos
LFL03
Channel Surfer

Sorry, I’m mirroring. Unable to see the Roku TV when casting. So I’m mirroring my iPad.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@LFL03

Thanks for the update. 

Could you try to reconnect the AirPlay connection to your Roku device and see if it helps? We would also recommend you restart your Roku TV before connecting your iPad again, to do this go to Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
LFL03
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the tip but it did not work. After restarting the TV in settings, I looked for the Roku TV in the casting option, only saw the Vizio TV in the next room. So I switched to mirroring on my iPad while watching a Disney + video, found the Roku TV, selected it & then only received the sound, but no picture. So stopped & restarted the show, now I’m getting the “HDCP Error Detected” msg again. What can we try next? 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@LFL03

Thanks for following up.

If possible, could you try to Airplay another Apple device on your Roku TV and see if there's any difference? And may we ask when you start seeing the issue? Are there any recent changes on your Roku TV or Apple device? 

Keep us posted. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
LFL03
Channel Surfer

Yes, I get the same results with both my iPhone & iPad. The only recent changes is I reduced my Disney+ subscription from $10.99 a month to $7.99 a month & instantly received a message that Roku does not allow Disney+ with no commercials to play on its Roku devices (Roku TV, Roku Stick, etc). Which seemed odd to me since I can watch Disney+ on my mobile devices with no problem, & I can watch on my Vizio TV with no problem. But I can’t watch Disney+ on my Roku devices unless I upgrade back to the $10.99 subscription. Is that why I can’t cast Disney+ shows from my mobile devices to my Roku TV? 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@LFL03 

Thanks for your response. 

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us with:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Confirm what channel/s does the issue occur?
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Mobile device running iOS

Keep us posted with the details and we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.