Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbellue4

Re: YouTube CC option is gone

Jump to solution

I’ve tried removing and re-adding channel app several times, restarting roku, checking for updates, and clearing the cache on my internet.

Nothing works. I do have the cc button when watch on phone or pc, but not Roku TV.

I have a hearing issue and cc does help a lot. This is incredibly frustrating.

akisly

Re: YouTube TV & Closed Captions

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem.  The cc tool is missing completely from all videos on the YouTube channel.  Pausing and selecting more does not solve this issue.   I selected feedback and reported the issue because it needs a fix since cc is available on ALL my other devices.

0 Kudos
deafbowtie
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I do not know how to help. I had no issue lately with CC - even it is already established in my Roku remote. I am afraid to replicate and screw it up.   Wish you all frustrated ones good luck to resolve it.

0 Kudos
bdclark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Email support with YouTube went nowhere, but I was able to get a response from them on Twitter.  Looks like they're investigating the issue:

"We've seen similar reports where the captions setting is missing on some devices. We're already looking into it. Thanks for your patience."

LtBob

Jump to solution

Same here. I'm hearing impaired and need CC. I have used the remove-reinstall a dozen times. I have log in using my Google account each time -- a real pain. Just started happening a few days ago. No problems with youtube CC on my tablet, just my two televisions using Roku and YouTube app.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I understand that the closed captioning feature or option is unavailable with Youtube TV, is that correct?

We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

As a first step, we recommend trying to remove the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

In addition to helping you troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: How to enable closed captioning | Official Roku Support

If the issue remains unresolved, we recommend contacting Youtube TV directly to follow up for more help. They’ll be able to best assist with any issues and functionality inquiries.

You can contact their support here: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/gethelp

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JudH
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's NOT "youtube tv" it's plain'ol youtube. The CC option box is gone on all channels. I've done the remove/re-add thing -- it brings the CC box back on all supported channels UNTIL you exit. The next time you start the youtube app the CC box is gone again. The "reset app" system option does the same thing--CC box there until next exit/start. I believe this started with the 7.20220215.10.00 update.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JudH,

Thanks for the note.

Thanks for the note.
If the issue is only with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there is likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to that channel publisher directly to share your feedback.

You can reach Youtube support here 

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JudH
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sigh--how many times do we have to say this. It is ALL youtube channels (the ones that do CC of course).  The CC option box is GONE on all channels. You can bring THEM back by either removing the youtube app and reinstalling it and signing back on OR doing the Reset App option under youtube settings--BUT in both cases they go away again with the next exit/reenter the youtube app. Just removing a channel and re-subscribing doesn't bring CC back. 

0 Kudos
Sam2518
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I think they were referring to the YouTube channel on Roku and not the individual channels you subscribe to on YouTube. YouTube itself manages the YouTube channel on Roku, so they are saying that this issue needs to be reported to youtube directly to have it resolved. At least, that's how I interpreted that message. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.