Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Summersday
Reel Rookie

Re: YouTube CC option is gone

Jump to solution

This is not a solution. This post should be changed to unsolved without false advertising.

This works temporarily and then returns to bad behavior (no CC available). 

0 Kudos
Trza

Jump to solution

Thanks. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
agustplz

Jump to solution

having this issue as well! the captions disappear halfway through a video and the CC button just will not work. and i do not want to keep reinstalling the app 🥲

0 Kudos
mcpascaln
Channel Surfer

Re: How to fix the YouTube CC option suddenly missing

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem too. It started about two weeks ago. I can watch Youtube videos on my laptop computer with CC on with no issue. Yet cannot do the same on my two ROKU TVs which have Youtube apps. I hope can get help to fix it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bdclark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It seems the CC button has come back for me today (for the most part - some videos don't have it for whatever reason).  Anyone else seeing it?

0 Kudos
mcpascaln
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@bdclark wrote:

It seems the CC button has come back for me today (for the most part - some videos don't have it for whatever reason).  Anyone else seeing it?

I am writing now to state that yesterday, the CC icon did reappear and its now showing up in some Youtube  videos' but not all. I am very grateful to a few of my favorite Youtube channels with cc. Still though, there is a permanent need for a fix to allow users to press and install this CC icon indefinitely or as a default preference. That way, i would not have to look up for a CC icon every time a similar Youtube channel is playing. The setting should remember my preference.

0 Kudos
Summersday
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I'm having a similar experience. The CC option has returned for most but not all videos. Yay. YouTube is remembering my CC preference on some videos not all.

It appears that there may have been a software upgrade. There is now the option for live feeds on some videos.

It appears that this was a mistake on the part of youtube, not roku. If you are listening youtube, there are disabled folks that depend on closed captioning. I use CC so that I can keep the volume lower in my apartment, but it's much more important for these other people. They may have smaller numbers, but they're very important.

0 Kudos
mcpascaln
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Danny,

I am now again faced with the CC issue on Youtube channel. Its same problem as before. Too fix the issue, you have advised us  to

"Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more."

My concern is that, will not this lead to the loss of my previously saved and subscribed Youtube channels? They are ways too many out there.

Sincerely,

Pascal

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Your barking up the wrong tree. Roku does make the YouTube channel. Google does. Complain to the developers of Google. 

0 Kudos