Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJSV
Binge Watcher

Re: Black screen tcl roku tv

Jump to solution

I'm tried all troubleshooting methods including what you mentioned which I knew about unfortunately still had the issue. It's the dam software for sure!!

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@DJSV wrote: I've tried all troubleshooting methods ... still had the issue. It's the **bleep** software for sure!!

That's what worries me about @SneakJesus replacing components. On the one hand, when someone's TV is still under warranty, TCL seems to have a way to fix this. They replace a board and done. This gives the impression there are revisions of hardware that are problematic, Roku didn't test for. But there's no guarantee Sneak would get the Roku-friendly replacement boards. They could end up in the same boat (or, a future untested Roku update would break them again).

But then, there are people who (coincidentally) have hardware failures. It happens. We don't know which is which. If Sneak's is a hardware failure, maybe they could fix their tv for $50 or $120. 

TCL was Roku's first tv partner. You'd think there would be more cooperation, and information. But, Roku stonewalls its customers. Instead of an honest conversation, providing comprehensive diagnostics, everything's left to guesswork. Ridicule customers using "clear cache." But, ignore the elephant in the room. Roku could engage customers with information about how testing works, and why these update-related failures are occurring. Which hardware is problematic (what the hardware spec is). But, instead they act like nothing's happening. As bad as TCL may be, Roku looks far worse. They're the ones who could bring it to light. But, the way Roku evades its customers, and disparages them (Business Insider), it makes you wonder if TCL really is the problem.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
DDW
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Got the same black screen with my 55S405TLAA.   Nothing worked to fix it.  TCL customer service zero help in offering solutions.  So disappointing for a 2-yr old TV.  I’m never buying from this company again.  

DDW
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Got the same black screen with my 55S405TLAA.   Barely 2 years old. Nothing worked to fix it.  TCL customer service zero help in offering solutions.  So disappointing for a 2-yr old TV.  It’s sad, I like the functionality of these TV’s but I’m never buying from this company again, and I’m plastering BestBuy.com with negative reviews.  

Egcf5

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem but with my 43S525 and I already try all the methods suggested and still having the same problem my TV only have 1 year old and it was working fine yesterday 

0 Kudos
DDW
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hate to say it, but you’re screwed.  I posted as many negative reviews about TCL as I could on as many sites as possible, and then went out and bought a Sony with a 5-year warranty.  I’m still pissed off.  

0 Kudos
12thman1979
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@DDW Is absolutely correct. You are screwed. TCL will not care one bit as all TCL televisions fail between 12 and 24 months. Hence the one year warranty. 

0 Kudos
SunnySmoothe
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

What a piece of JUNK TCL turned out to be.  I bought a 55 inch TCL a couple years back and today it crapped out on me with this black screen with volume working. Flashlight into the screen shows the tv is on but the LED light is broken.

Never again will I buy TCL as this is a common problem doing a simple google search. Terrible.

0 Kudos
Hotwingshot
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just ordered the TCON board. I’ll give you the results sometime this week when it comes in. My backlight is on

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @SunnySmoothe,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

If you are having an issue with your Roku TV screen going black but can still hear the audio, customers have reported that unplugging your device for 5-10 minutes then plugging the Roku TV back resolves the issue.

We suggest that if the issue still persists, please contact TCL support yet to inquire further to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos