Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Speightlove
Reel Rookie

Re: Black screen tcl roku tv

Jump to solution

The blackscreen only happens when i go to my Netflix app and push play to watch the video. No blackscreen know we're else .

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Speightlove

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us more about your concern? When did you start experiencing this issue? Please provide us as well the troubleshooting you've done so we know what steps we should take next.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ltlmpg
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had the black (dark purple) screen issue.  Read this whole thread and tried everything, nothing worked.  Only 3 months old TV - 43S431 model.  Contacted TCL support and they had me go through all the stuff mentioned here before sending me to warranty.  I assumed it would take weeks to fix the issue so I bought a Samsung to use in the meantime.  One day later warranty sends and email telling me how to fix the issue.

Here it is:  With the TV on, press and hold the reset button until you get a System Restore screen.  It takes maybe 30 seconds.  I didn't count but it was definitely longer than any of the reset button solutions already posted here.  Next you pick a language and give it access to wifi and then it does some kind up update and restores. 

Hope this helps somebody.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It’s hard to choose a language on a black screen???? Lol

Re: How to fix TCL Roku TV with black screen

Jump to solution

I have an ONN 70” ROKU, same black screen problem for two weeks now.  I have tried everything and nothing works!  There are thousands with ONN’s also complaining of this problem, which leads me to think it’s a ROKU problem.  My tv is about 18 months old and worked perfect until we turned it on to a black screen one morning.  NO WARNING.  Others with ONN’s have already tried replacing tconn and backlights with no results, STILL A BLACK SCREEN….so I can only assume it has to be a ROKU software problem??? Backlights for this tv are $80 at Jimmy’s online and I’m just not sure I want to spend that much when it didn’t work for others?  

0 Kudos
ltlmpg
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I know, right? When I got the factory reset menu, the screen was no longer dark.  I think we had different issues.  My backlight was still working.  I've see videos where you can shine a flashlight into the screen in a dark room and if you can then see what is on the screen you probably have a bad backlight.  In my case, I could see nothing.  Also, the tech on the TCL help told me to lightly tap on the screen and if it has white flashes where you tap then the backlight is still working.  I had a software or firmware issue and the factory reset allowed that to be updated and repaired.

0 Kudos
run26912

Jump to solution

Totally agree. My 65 inch TCL R635 Roku TV died after just 6 months from the backlight problem. It had to be junked. I can't find another quality ROKU TV brand so I'm going with Sony or Samsung. TCL makes JUNK products and it hurts ROKU's credibility to have them associated with the brand. Their stock is in the toilet and its not getting any better having TCL sell these TRASH TVs. Thank goodness I got the Asurion insurance otherwise I'd be screwed as TCL customer support is horrendous and they want several VIDEOS to be emailed to them of the TV not working. WTF?? tried squishing a 35 MB video into 25MB email limit. Just TERRIBLE. Will NEVER BUY ANOTHER TCL TV and frankly thinking of giving up ROKU for Google TV. 

0 Kudos
jjogo

Re: Roku Tv Black Screen With Sound

Jump to solution

mine is element roku smart tv ..

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Tv Black Screen With Sound

Jump to solution

@jjogo

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: How to fix TCL Roku TV with black screen

Jump to solution

Facing Same Problem like this

Watching tv the screen went black while sound was still playing. We unplugged and plugged back in, we used the so called factory reset (hit the home button 5 times, up arrow once, rewind twice and forward twice) we can tell it rebooted but nothing changed.

When unplugged and plugged back in the screen showed the red Roku background for a split second but it was out immediately, it was more like a flash. This Tv is only 4 months old. I submitted the problem on the Roku website with a copy of my receipt, they say expect a response within 48 hours. I purchased it at Nebraska furniture in Dallas, Tx area.

0 Kudos