Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
12thman1979
Streaming Star

Re: How to fix TCL Roku TV with black screen

Jump to solution

@ivanballard 

Your solution is nonsense and the article you supply the link for is also nonsense. If you had done any actual research at all you would know TCL support is completely useless. And none of your dumb software glitch fixes are going to fix a faulty back light. Isn’t the moderator supposed to remove spam comments?

wildchildofgod
Binge Watcher

Re: Black screen tcl roku tv

Jump to solution

Don't you just luv it when a real issue that's affecting real people with real world problems gets continuously minimized by A.H.'s downplaying the truth & severity of it?

"Oh, I fixed mine by unplugging it & plugging it back 5mins later!"

ie.   "This isn't as bad of an issue as THESE people claim."

Thanks for that OH SO HELPFUL BS

Bill E.
0 Kudos
Marshal
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Check the wires

Tried power cycling the tv, but still, the black screen persists. So, start inspecting the wires because a loose wire can cause black screen issues. If you find any loose wire, insert it into the port properly, and if you haven't found any, then unplug all the wires connected to the tv and plug them in properly.

Also, verify that all the cables are working fine. If you find any faulty or damaged wire, replace it quickly and check whether the black screen persists.

If this fails to help you out, here's a detailed and effective methods to fix -  Roku TV Black Screen

0 Kudos
ronpar65
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Is it truly TCL, at fault, or is it ROKU? or maybe they are in it together and it is both their faults? If the TV's don't fail, then no sales, no sales, no percentage. Roku, for anyone who has owned just their Roku boxes or Streaming sticks can tell you, after a few years, Roku comes out with a new Model, when this happens, Roku gives an Update for the older Boxes/streaming sticks, when they do so, depending on what box/stick you have, problems start to occur! They will load the box/stick down with so much junkware, that it tanks the memory so much, that it takes forever to load their apps, or the apps fail to load at all. Those of you having black screen issues, did you by chance do an update prior to the black screen nightmare? If so, within a short time period did the black screen of death occure? If so, great chance the update is what made your nice TV a a black screen nightmare! Is their a way to remove the update? could be, but chances are some or a lot of the apps will need the update to function correctly! Which means after update, your tv will go black again! My advice to you all is this. If you have to have ROKU! buy a box/stick and attache it to a Good product TV! Not another nightmare Roku TV! It is easier to replace a box/stick, and a whole lot cheaper, then Buying a all in one Roku TV, that is never going to last. this way you get best of both worlds, Just never do updates on any TV, just the streaming box/stick! That said never connect your TV to the internet! Because Just like Roku, These TV compines does the same thing they will give automatic updates to crash your TV's in hope You will buy another one from them! Updates can kill a good thing! and make one pay out their backsides for another. One last note! Just because your screen goes black, does not mean that all black screen deaths are the same, or did so because of update or something else. A thing I learned about those Who make TV's is, that Some of them will stoop so low as to but cheap electronic parts on their boards, so that their TV's will fail after a few years, in turn making you, unless you take it to a repair shop to fix it, buy a new TV, they hope from them! Is this aways the case why some get the black screen nightmare, no, sometimes just as someone repeats over, and over again, unpugging and wait and replug fixes the TV! that can be true, because as I said, all black screen issues is not caused by same issue! Regards!

0 Kudos
ronpar65
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Last, last note! These TV's as all TV's will last longer if when you are done watching them, not only turn them off, but connect TV to a serge protector and kill all power to the TV by flipping switch. Just because you turn off TV! doesn't mean it is off! The boards and everything inside TV still has juice going to it,  in turn, all parts on boards and backlites in use, do to warmup mode! at least that is what they say, in doing so it shortens the life of the TV, backlites included! like a vampire sucking the life from it! Just a thought!

0 Kudos
Speightlove
Reel Rookie

Re: Black screen when you go to your apps to play a video

Jump to solution

Unplugging the TV is not working. This is 2022 and I purchased my 70' inch June 2021.. Reset connection, Reset Factory still the same results. The manufacturer is Onn.. When I look at Cable TV (Att uverse) it works great.. But going to apps that I pay for each month goes to a blackscreen. I'm not a happy camper.

0 Kudos
ronpar65
Binge Watcher

Re: Black screen when you go to your apps to play a video

Jump to solution

@SpeightloveIf your tv is working great, all except your apps, Did you by chance do an update before this nightmare with your apps occurred? Updates are good sometimes, but ca n also turn a great product into junk quick. It is cheaper in the long run to never connect TV to the internet, yes I know that one has to update their apps every so often or they may slow down or refuse to work, but it is cheaper to buy a Roku box/stick attach it to TV connect box/stick to internet. Updates to TV can sometimes turn A great TV into junk, as I said before. One can buy A streaming box/stick for 30 to a 100 dollars. A lot cheaper then going out and pay 500 to 1200 for a new TV. Most times when TV's go south, unless a backlight burns out, or board fails is because they update TV Software the update crashes TV more times then not, that is why I never connect my TV to the Internet. Like I said in my other post above, The TV makers can't make money, if Your TV keeps on ticking, and no doubt in my mind they do send bad updates to make ones great TV crash on TV's that are a few years old. Even if the TV works fine after so long the owner of the apps will refuse to update theirs apps on older TV's making their app unwatchable, so you will have to go out and buy either a new TV, or streaming device to watch their apps. There is no doubt these companies are in on it together to bleed us customers of our money, that's just the crooks of today's world for you

0 Kudos
DaveTheRave1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I just replaced the Main BOARD to try and fix my tv issues.

The white light flashes but no picture now?

What gives, i just sqwapped the board and now it is black screen , nothin happens

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DaveTheRave1

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers' contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'm having the same black screen problem as of night before last with my TCL Roku tv.  When It was powered off the screen was fine and several hours later when powered bk on it was black screen. I can see everything displayed on the screen by  holding a flashlight up to it and it's better with the lights in the room turned off you can see it better. And I have Audio as well. So I engaged with a Roku live chat conversation, and they advised me to call TCL because they have nothing to do with the hardware in the tv it was manufactured by TCL. And all Roku does is power up the  TV itself. So I can't blame them for any hardware problems inside the tv, they was very supportive in trying to help me Trouble Shoot my issue though as best they could and provided me with the phone number to TCL customer support hot line. Which I talked to someone that took me thru the same trouble shooting steps Roku did except for a couple others and nothing has worked. When you have a black screen but you can see the picture by holding a flashlight up to the screen and you have Audio there is only one solution to the problem, your back lights  aren't working, and if only one light is bad none of the others will work either like the lights on a Christmas tree if one goes out they all will anyhow their is only one bad light on the whole string. So save yourselves all the stress and hassel, if your situation is the same as mine all you can do is have the back lights or light repaired or go buy you a new TV. End of story! 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.