Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Never ending Recovery Mode Screen

Jump to solution

@Cottonjenney

Thanks for the post.

You should be able to attach a screenshot/photo to your post by pressing the Photos above the text field.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I saw in another thread about random reboots, someone said clearing the cache fixes it (for awhile). Maybe someone would want to try it with the recovery loop (if it hasn't been already?). I assume this could be done while sitting in the setup, before connecting to internet:

Hit HOME 5 times.
UP once.
REWIND twice.
FAST FORWARD twice. (clears cache & tv reboots itself.)

It would be interesting (if the tv recognizes those remote buttons in that setup state) if the resulting bootup would get through the setup without going into recovery mode.

People have tried so many things (various ways of unplugging, pinhole resetting, etc.). Maybe someone could try the above. You never know....

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

And so now we're at the point where untrained customers are being sent into engineering setup menus in the hope that the device that they purchased can be made to perform the functionality that was represented to them that it would perform.

Before someone starts in with "but its a complex, computer driven device, and these things happen".  Let me tell the story of my car.  I received a notice that I needed to bring it in to get the main computer reflashed with an update to avert a possible problem.  I brought it in, they gave me coffee and a waiting room, and after a little while, I got my car back.  It did not malfunction in any way after the update.  No one told me I would need to pull to the side of the road, remove the battery for 10 minutes, then re-install the battery, honk the horn 5 times, turn the radio on and off 3 times, left turn signal, right turn signal, brake pedal, brake pedal and then see if it worked.

I guess the car makers have a much simpler device to work with than ROKU does.  What other possible explanation could there be for a software upgrade to a car working flawlessly, while a TV is completely disrupted?

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Harvini , someone should do a YouTube video parodying that. "If Roku made cars." It would go viral. (The tweetur could lose its mind.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Cottonjenney
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had attempted to respond to this specific post saying that pictures could be attached previously, however in reading through I can see it did not actually get posted. The attached photos options that you refer to are inordinately difficult for a layman to use and even when going through the process I still could not find any way to actually upload a photo. Which means in the end you expect me to upload my photos into a format in which I can "link" it in a reply, but only if I know the dimensions first. it is absolutely insane to believe that an average customer is going to be able to go through all of these steps just to provide you with photos of a malfunction that you should already know of. In this day and age it is far too easy to make photos uploadable versus linkable.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Cottonjenney , how are you posting to the forum? I use a laptop. I've only added a photo once. I just tried doing it again to remind myself how it worked. Seems very easy (the camera icon) above the text entry box. I can drag/drop photos, or click in the drop target area to browse my local storage for a photo. (Or, I can enter a URL which retrieves the photo and previews it to me.). I didn't see anything asking for photo dimensions. I wonder if you're using an app? Does Roku's app front-end this forum too? 

I agree with you that the disturbing thing is how so many people report problems, and the next person to report it is treated like nobody's heard of the problem before. The way Roku doesn't want to track bug reports, this is all looking like a facade of support. I think Roku should be referred to as the Comcast of streaming. Back during the hegemony of cable, Roku sanctimoniously depicted itself as the Pied Piper of cord-cutters, leading us to freedom & dignity. Roku has become as bad as anything we ever heard about Comcast's disregard for customers, no shame, etc.

When I came here, I thought it was a sincere effort to engage customers & improve Roku. It's just a facade. Like an impenetrable voice menu ("I'm sorry, I didn't understand that response. Please press 9 to receive a new carousel-driven answer."). It's as blow-off and shameless as Comcast ever was. You'd be wasting your time posting a photo anyway. ("Thank you for the photo. I have passed it along to the appropriate team [the recycling bin on my desktop]").

0 Kudos
Cottonjenney
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am using a phone, so I'm guessing that the mobile version of this forum is different than the full web page you would get on a PC. I might see if there is a "view full web page" option.

Ace3

Jump to solution

My tv still not working 

Cottonjenney
Channel Surfer

Re: TV STUCK IN RECOVERY MODE

Jump to solution

unfortunately it's not the same issue, I have wifi and have access to be able to update but it recycles recovery mode anyway.

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: TV STUCK IN RECOVERY MODE

Jump to solution

@Cottonjenney wrote: I have wifi and have access to be able to update but it recycles recovery mode anyway.

I've forgotten if you were already asked this: can you connect to internet through a different wifi? Your phone or laptop as a "hotspot?" Or, take it to a friends house? (If your tv has an ethernet port, could you directly connect the tv to your router with an rj45 cable?).

I thought I've seen people say that worked. (I've seen that with the mac addr all zeros problem. But, I thought I saw something about this recovery loop too. It might be worth trying if you're out of options.).

0 Kudos