Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elliotff

How to connect new Roku tv to I ferner, don’t have a remote.

I recently bought a heavily discounted Roku tv from a major retailer. As a college student I thought it was a great deal but the tv didn’t come with a remote. After buying a remote not only will the remote not connect to the tv but I can’t even connect the tv to my wifi because of the lack of a remote. Is there any way to bypass this issue and make it so my Roku TV works correctly? The TV itself displays perfectly but I can’t connect it to anything due to its inability to connect to wifi

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to connect new Roku tv to I ferner, don’t have a remote.

@Elliotff 

You really need a physical remote to complete setup of the RokuTV.  The fastest option is to purchase a Roku Voice Remote from Walmart, Target, Best Buy. (about $20).

Otherwise, you can look on Amazon or Ebay for a compatible manufacturer remote for the RokuTV.  (ie. if this is a TCL RokuTV, you will need a TCL RokuTV compatible remote).  Many of these are available $8-$10.

With the universal streaming remotes available, you would need one compatible with RokuTV.  These are often different than your standard universal tv remotes.  Need to read the packaging for specific reference to RokuTV.  Even the ones that say compatible with Roku are sometimes meant more for Roku devices, and not the RokuTV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to connect new Roku tv to I ferner, don’t have a remote.

@Elliotff-

Re compatibility of Roku TV remotes from various manufacturers:

Roku TVs from these manufacturers all respond to the same set of IR (infrared) commands and so can be used with remotes for any Roku TV in this group:
Element, Haier, Hitachi, Insignia, JVC, Magnavox, onn, Philips, RCA, Sanyo, TCL, Westinghouse.

Remotes from HiSense and Sharp can only be used with HiSense and Sharp Roku TVs because they issue a different set of IR commands. Roku TVs from HiSense and Sharp themselves, though, support both sets of IR commands so they also be used with remotes from either of these two groups of manufactures.

(Thanks to @Tivoburkee for this info)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.