Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
16rpm
Visitor

Re: How to connect a Roku TV to a receiver using HDMI cable

So I'm one more person with problems with the combo Sony DH550 and TCL roku TV. With me, sound plays fine for some 5-7 minutes, then stops. Something that I noticed (and may just be a coincidence) is that putting my hand on the metallic cover of the receiver seems to make it work again. If that's the case, it may mean that the TV does not like the grounding provided by the AVR. I have only verified this once yesterday (it was late) and will check again today. 

I have not tried yet the Dolby DTS, but the previous selection was PCM Stereo (I had set the receiver as stereo as well), and it didn't seem to make any difference.
0 Kudos
gordonaspin
Visitor

I have my Roku TV connected via HDMI to the RX 677 but I can only get the Roku to successfully output PCM, DD+ and DD+/DTS, not DD or DD/DTS (which is what I need ...) any ideas ?
0 Kudos
mhuppman
Visitor

The TV comes out of the box with ARC disabled.  Once enabled (instructions in the manual are very clear), you just need one HDMI cable between the receiver’s HDMI Out port to the HDMI3 (ARC) port on the TV.

Next, you will need to activate the HDMI ARC via the receiver menu. On the TV, select HDMI3 (ARC). You will be presented with a blank screen on the TV, however you will see the volume control / level appear on the bottom right of the screen when you adjust the volume on the receiver.

On the receiver remote, there is an options button.  When pressed, you will be presented with a menu that will allow you to enable HDMI and ARC, as well as indicate which channel you want to use for the audio ( I selected AV1)

Side note: I also have a blue ray player. An HDMI cable from HDMI1 to the blue ray player allows you to select HDMI1 on the receiver and HDMI3 (ARC) On the TV.

Any questions, I am happy to help.
0 Kudos
JBroeckel
Reel Rookie

I had to disconnect all other HDMI cables from my Sony HT-CT150 A/V system in order to have it be detected by the Control Other Devices AND switch to the Dolby Digital DTS (not the plus) in order to get the connection to work (I was able to reconnect the other devices after it was working and it still works). 

Thank you for all the info, both here and on the Sony site for helping me get this working.

sandyw13
Reel Rookie

Please excuse if this is repeat enquiry, I am not savvy at all with audio/video and question for hubby. Bought new TCL 65 inch tv, my hubby wants to link older Pioneer stereo,I believe he said his receiver. He likes to watch movies and have sound come through his whole stereo speaker setup. He too has tried every bunch of cables in the house and settings on tv. There is no HDMI port on his stereo/receiver, so he is unsure of what type of cable he needs and exactly what port/ports to use. He is usually quite savvy with this stuff but stumped right now, and of course horrible with computers and tablets,so leaving me to try and get him an answer. Thaks in advance. I've tried to read all this stuff and get him an answer but there's so pages,it gets to the point it's hard to relay everything back and forth. Sandy

0 Kudos
sandyw13
Reel Rookie

I have a inquiry on this thread for my hubby, but then saw your answer,and someone said it helped them hook up their okder pioneer stereo. I need to ask about cords. My hubbies receiver has no HDMI type port for hookup. We have no idea what type of cords he needs to use to hook up new TCL 65 inch tv to older Pioneer stereo system, i think he said receiver, he wants to have stereo speaker sound for movies played,no cords he already has work, and anyway he's tried to set up doesn't work. We could try your instructions above, as long as we have proper cording. TIA Sandra

0 Kudos
JBroeckel
Reel Rookie

Im not an expert but if your receiver unit does not have an HDMI or an Optical connection then I would suggest that you use a 3.5mm headphones style connector to RCA connector  adapter wire (can buy it anywhere that sells electronics connector wires such as Walmart or Amazon) That way you could use the headphones out on the TV to the RCA inputs on the audio amplifier receiver.

example: 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-3-5-Mm-Aux-To-Rca-Stereo-Cable 

0 Kudos
sandyw13
Reel Rookie

Thanks again for info. My hubby get checking everything again and apparently there was a short or something in the wire he had tried using. It's now up and running. Thanks

0 Kudos
GM-TV

@gadrago wrote:
@paulburr52: Your Yamaha RX-V677 receiver will get a sound source signal from the TCL TV under either (or both) of the following attachments:

HDMI: Connect HDMI cable from HDMI3 port on TCL TV to the HDMI OUT port on RX-V677 receiver. On the receiver side, HDMI Control and ARC must both be set to 'On' in order for ARC to work.  See pages 23 and 134 in the RX-V677 manual. On the TCL TV side, as previously stated, under Settings, System, Control other devices (CEC), Search for CEC devices, you should see your RX-V677 receiver identified with a HDMI3 identifier and an asterisk (*) signifying that it is an audio device. ARC must be enabled.  In the Control other devices (CEC) menu, ARC must be enabled, but System audio control, 1-touch play, and System standby do not have to be enabled in order for ARC to work (read the TCL manual for a description of those additional features).

Optical digital: Connect optical digital cable from optical digital OUT port on TCL TV to the AV4 digital optical IN port on Yamaha RX-V677 receiver.  With this method, manually switch the receiver to the AV4 input (or use the default 'TV' scene  button on the receiver front panel or the remote).

With either connection method (HDMI or optical digital) , the receiver will use the default 'TV' scene setting to produce sound from the TCL TV as input source, assuming that you have not reprogrammed the 'TV' scene setting button from its AV4 input default.

While the HDMI connection using ARC will allow some additional CEC functionality (like automatically turning the receiver on or off, automatic input switching, etc.), it does not work perfectly in all cases.  The optical digital connection essentially will produce the same sound from the TCL TV source (perhaps substituting Dolby Digital in place of Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos), but your ears won't hear the difference.

Both connection methods work from my TCL 55P605 to my Yamaha RX-V773 receiver.  With both connected but with CEC/ARC enabled on the TV and receiver menus, ARC trumps the optical digital connection.  Either way, the receiver shows the 'TV' as the receiver input source.

EDIT: Meant to say RX-V677 receiver, not RX-V667 (typo on my part).

I'm trying to connect TCL55S425 to Yamaha RX-V683 via HDMI ARC. I followed every single step in this post and made sure it's done correctly but still no sound out.

What am I missing?

Thank you! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

The optical cable worked for me. I tried multiple HDMI cables with no success, but immediately upon connecting the optical cable I had sound through my receiver/external speakers. Thanks 

0 Kudos