Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blade_005
Roku Guru

Re: How to connect a Roku TV to a receiver using HDMI cable

"Laffeetaffee" wrote:
"apodtele" wrote:
I would appreciate if Roku developers on this forum at least acknowledge the problem. I have been volunteering at least half a year on this forum helping people to resolve the issue with ARC connection from Roku TV to Yamaha receivers. All I hear from Roku is crickets. Perhaps, they can update the Roku TV User Guide. That is an idea. Or, even better, try to troubleshoot or fix Digital Dolby Plus over HDMI/ARC. That would be just wonderful. Maybe, it requires some communication with Yamaha. Somebody here, Roku or Yamaha, got Dolby Digital Plus wrong.

So, here I go again. I assume that you connected proper HDMI/ARC socket on TV and  HDMI OUT on the receiver. You also enabled ARC as per user guides and Roku TV recognizes the receiver. You just do not here a sound.

The problem with "Roku TV -- HDMI/ARC -- Yamaha" is that Dolby Digital Plus, either auto-detected or user-selected, does not work. So, a simple fix, which still permits surround sound, is to slightly downgrade the protocol. Go to Home / Settings / Audio / S/PDIF and ARC, and select "Dolby D, DTS" instead of "Auto detect" or anything with plus. Please let me know if it works for you.

Yup, I tried this, plus every other combination of settings. Still nothing. I finally sucked it up and bought an optical audio cable ($30 for a 4 foot cable from Best Buy). Lo and behold, it works. So I guess maybe the answer to this topic is that HDMI does not work with Roku TV. If you have a receiver, just go with an optical audio cable.

ARC (HDMI 3) does work with a TCL Roku TV.

You may have an older receiver that does not support Audio Return Channel over HDMI, which is why you were only successful using an Optical Audio cable. You did not share the actual model number of your Yamaha receiver, so it was unclear if that may be your issue. Did you enable HDMI ARC on your Yamaha receiver? See the link below from YouTube where a walk-through is being done on enabling Dolby ATMOS on four (4) receivers on a TCL Roku TV. One of those receivers is a Yamaha. 5:00 minutes in you see the process of enabling HDMI ARC on a Yamaha receiver.

TCL 55R617/55R615 Dolby Atmos Setup | Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon

Or, you simply did not go through a complete discovery process on the the TCL Roku TV to discover the CEC capable receiver and visually verify that it is showing your receiver as discovered. You would then enable ARC (HDMI 3) to pass through audio to receiver, SYSTEM AUDIO CONTROL if you would like to have the Roku remote control the volume on your CEC capable receiver and SYSTEM STANDBY if you would like your receiver to power ON and OFF when you turn the TCL TV on and off. ONE-TOUCH PLAY is another feature you can enable if you have external devices, such as a game console or Blu-Ray player, that you would like to have power on the TV and Receiver and switch to the proper HDMI input if you use their remotes to start a game or Blu-Ray disc.
BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
paulburr52
Visitor

It's great that you have an example of the connection working perfectly. I am running a Yamaha RXV677. High-speed HDMI cable, port4 in receiver port 3 in TCL R55615. All settings are correct and it still does not produce sound. The remote does control the TV as well as the receiver but no sound. Video example was inspiring but no help.
0 Kudos
WhereYou
Visitor

Set the "Audio Out/Optical" on the TV may solve the issue.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

"paulburr52" wrote:
It's great that you have an example of the connection working perfectly. I am running a Yamaha RXV677. High-speed HDMI cable, port4 in receiver port 3 in TCL R55615. All settings are correct and it still does not produce sound. The remote does control the TV as well as the receiver but no sound. Video example was inspiring but no help.

Is your receiver shown as found in the CEC Search screen of Roku menu?  SETTINGS -- SYSTEM - CONTROL OTHER DEVICES (CEC) -- SEARCH FOR CEC DEVICES

If receiver is being recognized, then enabling ARC (HDMI 3), SYSTEM AUDIO CONTROL and SYSTEM STANDBY should give you AUDIO OUTPUT, VOLUME CONTROL with roku remote and ON/OFF CONTROL of receiver when TV is turned on or off.
BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
0 Kudos
paulburr52
Visitor

Thank you for your reply. I will check this tomorrow. It does recognize the Yamaha but says something to the effect that port one does not have ARC support. I do not have anything plugged into port one. I will post the exact verbiage after I have some time to get back into it. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Channel Surfer

@paulburr52: Your Yamaha RX-V677 receiver will get a sound source signal from the TCL TV under either (or both) of the following attachments:

HDMI: Connect HDMI cable from HDMI3 port on TCL TV to the HDMI OUT port on RX-V677 receiver. On the receiver side, HDMI Control and ARC must both be set to 'On' in order for ARC to work.  See pages 23 and 134 in the RX-V677 manual. On the TCL TV side, as previously stated, under Settings, System, Control other devices (CEC), Search for CEC devices, you should see your RX-V677 receiver identified with a HDMI3 identifier and an asterisk (*) signifying that it is an audio device. ARC must be enabled.  In the Control other devices (CEC) menu, ARC must be enabled, but System audio control, 1-touch play, and System standby do not have to be enabled in order for ARC to work (read the TCL manual for a description of those additional features).

Optical digital: Connect optical digital cable from optical digital OUT port on TCL TV to the AV4 digital optical IN port on Yamaha RX-V677 receiver.  With this method, manually switch the receiver to the AV4 input (or use the default 'TV' scene  button on the receiver front panel or the remote).

With either connection method (HDMI or optical digital) , the receiver will use the default 'TV' scene setting to produce sound from the TCL TV as input source, assuming that you have not reprogrammed the 'TV' scene setting button from its AV4 input default.

While the HDMI connection using ARC will allow some additional CEC functionality (like automatically turning the receiver on or off, automatic input switching, etc.), it does not work perfectly in all cases.  The optical digital connection essentially will produce the same sound from the TCL TV source (perhaps substituting Dolby Digital in place of Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos), but your ears won't hear the difference.

Both connection methods work from my TCL 55P605 to my Yamaha RX-V773 receiver.  With both connected but with CEC/ARC enabled on the TV and receiver menus, ARC trumps the optical digital connection.  Either way, the receiver shows the 'TV' as the receiver input source.

EDIT: Meant to say RX-V677 receiver, not RX-V667 (typo on my part).
0 Kudos
apodtele
Visitor

"paulburr52" wrote:

What port4 in the receiver??? Read the manual, dude! You should use HDMI OUT (ARC), see back panel of your receiver. ARC ARC ARC, repeat as mantra, you are using ARC to connect TV and your receiver.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Channel Surfer

True dat. I explicitly outlined the two connection methods in my previous post.  It 'appears' to be port 4 even when using the ARC HDMI OUT connection on his receiver, because that is the input source name ('TV') that the Yamaha receiver input switches to, whether using the HDMI ARC or the optical digital attachment method.  The same input name 'TV' is shown on the receiver front panel display when using the optical digital input connection on the receiver input labelled 'AV4' (port 4).  Either way (HDMI ARC or optical digital), the receiver switches to the input name 'TV' on its front panel display.
0 Kudos
SkiSmuggs

"gadrago" wrote:
@paulburr52: Your Yamaha RX-V677 receiver will get a sound source signal from the TCL TV under either (or both) of the following attachments:

HDMI: Connect HDMI cable from HDMI3 port on TCL TV to the HDMI OUT port on RX-V677 receiver. On the receiver side, HDMI Control and ARC must both be set to 'On' in order for ARC to work.  See pages 23 and 134 in the RX-V677 manual. On the TCL TV side, as previously stated, under Settings, System, Control other devices (CEC), Search for CEC devices, you should see your RX-V677 receiver identified with a HDMI3 identifier and an asterisk (*) signifying that it is an audio device. ARC must be enabled.  In the Control other devices (CEC) menu, ARC must be enabled, but System audio control, 1-touch play, and System standby do not have to be enabled in order for ARC to work (read the TCL manual for a description of those additional features).

Optical digital: Connect optical digital cable from optical digital OUT port on TCL TV to the AV4 digital optical IN port on Yamaha RX-V677 receiver.  With this method, manually switch the receiver to the AV4 input (or use the default 'TV' scene  button on the receiver front panel or the remote).

With either connection method (HDMI or optical digital) , the receiver will use the default 'TV' scene setting to produce sound from the TCL TV as input source, assuming that you have not reprogrammed the 'TV' scene setting button from its AV4 input default.

While the HDMI connection using ARC will allow some additional CEC functionality (like automatically turning the receiver on or off, automatic input switching, etc.), it does not work perfectly in all cases.  The optical digital connection essentially will produce the same sound from the TCL TV source (perhaps substituting Dolby Digital in place of Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos), but your ears won't hear the difference.

Both connection methods work from my TCL 55P605 to my Yamaha RX-V773 receiver.  With both connected but with CEC/ARC enabled on the TV and receiver menus, ARC trumps the optical digital connection.  Either way, the receiver shows the 'TV' as the receiver input source.

AWESOME!  Thanks, I'd been struggling with connecting via ARC to my Pioneer VSX-831 and your clear, concise explanation made it happen for me. As with others, I turned off Audio Auto Detect and DD+ and set Audio to DD and DTS for much better volume.
0 Kudos
johnadowning
Visitor

Okay, I’ve read and read and read this thread. I feel like I’m doing this correctly. I have an HDMI cable connected to both the ARC slots on the TV and Receiver. Along with that, both units have ARC turned on. My receiver is not found on the CEC check. I can control the Receiver volume using my Roku TV remote, but no sound.

TV: Sharp 4K UHD Roku Tv manufacturered Oct. 2017. (Don’t know the model number)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V385
0 Kudos