Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lopijr
Reel Rookie

How to Stop TV from Turning off using usb

I have a Roku TV set up in a workplace. I use it for USB playback for associate messages and want it to never turn off or stop repeating the presentation from the USB stick. In all locations (about 25 TVs) No matter how I set the sleep timer (even to off) the TV shuts down after so many hours.

I have seen many threads on the TV turning off by itself and maybe an issue with the remote not being used after 4 hours. Will this still happen even if the TV is actively playing the presentation from the USB?

Is there a fix? 

For administrator response - The TV is plugged into the power source at the wall. The TV firmware shows up to date. I am not using an internet connection unless checking for updates. WIFI is off and just runs local from USB stick.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to Stop TV from Turning off using usb

Hi @Lopijr,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We value your inquiry and interest in learning more about the Roku TV and how to keep it operating after a few hours of being idle. We'll do what we can on our end to bring you the information you need. Please be advised that if your Roku device is streaming for four hours and no commands are received from your Roku remote or the mobile app, the Roku platform interprets this as inactivity on your Roku device. Research shows that four hours without remote activity is a good indicator that no one is watching the content being streamed since most movies and TV shows are less than 4 hours. After those four hours, your Roku device will display a prompt asking you to confirm that you are still watching. You can disable the prompt for all streaming channels using the instructions below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Network.
  4. Select the bandwidth saver.
  5. Choose Off.
  • Note: Some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver.

Please let us know if it works, and we'll be glad to further assist you.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                          Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lopijr
Reel Rookie

Re: How to Stop TV from Turning off using usb

Appreciate the from the book response, but you must not have read my message. Streaming does not apply, so bandwidth saver does not apply and it is already off along with standby being off. I am running a USB stick to show messages and presentations for employees.  I understand what market research may show, but ROKU should let consumers decide if they want their TVs to remain on regardless of how long the remote is not touched. Please recommend a software update to allow consumers full control. There are many many threads with consumers asking for this. If there is someplace else I should be writing, please advise.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.