Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

[Solved] Update on Backdrops Channel Removal Issue

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We've received reports from some users who are unable to remove the Backdrops channel from their Home Screen. 

Update (09/17): The issue should now be resolved.

Update (09/12): We're still actively looking into this problem. We'll provide an update as soon as we have more information.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to resolve this inconvenience.

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [Underinvestigation] Update on Backdrops Channel Removal Issue

Jump to solution

Hi Community,

Thanks for reporting the issue with the Backdrops channel reappearing after attempting to remove it. We appreciate your patience while we worked on a solution.

Update (09/17): The issue should now be resolved. If you're still experiencing problems removing the Backdrops channel, please provide the following information:

1. Device ID: You can find this in your Roku device's Settings > System > About.
  2. Software Version: Also located in Settings > System > About.

With this information, we can investigate further and provide more targeted assistance.

Thank you again for your cooperation!

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
srobertanv
Reel Rookie

How Do We Remove the Backdrops App from the Home Screen?

Jump to solution

My TCL TV has the new Backdrops app icon on the home screen starting yesterday. I didn't order this. I don't want it. I had my home screen laid out and ordered the way I wanted it. Now you've messed it up. I removed it and it temporarily disappears, but keeps coming back every time I reload the home screen. How do we remove it permanently? I'm totally uninterested in using it.

Wandab
Reel Rookie

Re: Backdrops App from the Home Screen

Jump to solution

HEY ROKU!!  PLEASE TAKE BACKDROPS APP OFF MY HOME SCREEN.  I DIDN’T ASK FOR IT AND I DON’T WANT IT!!  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

hnbrink
Binge Watcher

Re: How Do We Remove the Backdrops App from the Home Screen?

Jump to solution

I need this removed too. I don’t care anything about it, don’t want it, so annoyed it keeps adding itself back. I thought Roku already got the message about adding stuff to our screens after we all got on their case about the recommended row and the way we couldn’t delete the side menu options. 

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Can you move it so it's not on your main home screen? And does it stay in that off-screen location?

srobertanv
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All the apps I want on the home screen are visible without scrolling. If I do scroll it just rearranges them, but they're all still present. Backdrops messes that up. Of course if it were up to me, I'd also remove the ads that are on the right side and have complete control over what's on the entire home screen. But I understand that Roku's got to make some scratch by selling that space, so I can live with that. But they've left me half the screen and now it's frustrating because they want to encroach on that space too.

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Scrolling should not cause the apps to rearrange. There is another "feature" being tested that does auto-arrange, but it should be able to be turned off.

RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community Users!

Thank you for engaging with the Roku Community.

We understand that some of you are encountering difficulties with removing the Roku backdrops feature.

Our Roku Team is currently investigating this issue, and we appreciate your patience as we work towards a resolution.

To assist us in resolving this matter more effectively, could you please provide the following information?

• Roku Device Information:

• Model: 
    • Serial Number: 
    • Device ID: 
    • Software OS/Version:
  • TV Information:

• Make and Model: 
  • Tracker ID: When the issue occurs, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with the Tracker ID that appears.

• Steps to Reproduce the Issue: Please outline the steps you take that lead to the issue you’re experiencing.

Your detailed information will greatly aid us in diagnosing and addressing the problem. Thank you for your cooperation and support!

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lanhoj

Jump to solution

Sure, @RokuMaryEF here's the requested information.

Roku Device Information:

• Model: TCL model 55S517
  • Serial Number: YS0044996635
  • Device ID: FT28A4996635
  • Software OS/Version: 13.1.4 build 1510-30
  • Tracker ID: 35-368-319

Steps to Reproduce

1. Navigate to the Backdrops App on the Roku Homescreen
  2. Press the * button on the Roku remote
  3. Navigate to "Remove app" within the pop-up menu, press the "OK" button on the Roku remote & confirm in the next pop-up menu
  4. Observe the Backdrops App has been removed from the Roku Homescreen
  5. Navigate to another App on the Roku Homescreen (example: YouTube) & launch it
  6. Wait for the App to load
  7. Press the "Home" button on the Roku remote to exit the App & return to the Roku Homescreen

Result

• Observe the Backdrops App has returned to the Roku Homescreen

Expected Result

• Since I had previously removed it, it shouldn't return on its own

===== ===== =====

If you have any other questions or need any followup details, don't hesitate to reach out, @RokuMaryEF 

srobertanv
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Here you go, @RokuMaryEF

Roku Device Information:

• Model: TCL Model 32S327
  • Serial Number: YK00YA118635
  • Device ID: JDA0DY118635
  • Software OS/Version: 13.1.4 build 1510-48
  • Tracker ID: 35-368-348

Steps to Reproduce, Result, Expected Results:

• Identical to what Lanhoj has written. Thanks Lanhoj.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.