Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hisense Roku TV aspect ratio vs external HDMI Roku Express

Hello. I just picked up a free 75” Hisense 75R6E1 Roku TV with a burnt out backlight. I replaced the backlight yesterday and mounted it in my living room today. This thing is a HUGE size upgrade from my 55” I had in here!

I have one issue with it. The aspect ratio and picture quality on the native Roku OS is wonky AF. When watching older movies, such as Scream, the picture is elongated. I did go into the picture settings and changing it to “Stretch” helped, but cuts off picture on the sides.

when I plug in my Roku Express I used on my old TV, this issue is gone. The picture quality is also a lot better with the HDMI Roku Express.

is there a valid reason for this or anything I can do?? I really don’t want to have to use an external Roku device on a Roku TV, but I will if I must.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Hisense Roku TV aspect ratio vs external HDMI Roku Express

Hi @Flip01002003,

Thanks for your first post to the Roku Community!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. No worries! We'd be happy to suggest some steps to help you improve the image quality of your Hisense Roku TV.

Your Roku TV system has multiple preset picture modes that adjust the image's appearance to suit your preferences and viewing environment. Changing the picture mode can provide enhancements, especially given the wide range of input signal types from devices like cable and satellite boxes, Blu-ray players, or game consoles and the quality of those signals.

To change picture modes, start streaming a movie or TV show or switch to the Live TV, HDMI, or AV input where your other devices are connected.

1. Press Star (*) on your Roku® remote to open the TV Settings menu  

2. Select Picture Settings
  3. Select Picture Mode
  4. Change the picture mode using the left and right buttons on your remote

For reference, you may check our support article for further information about the different picture modes and how to customize the picture settings of your Hisense Roku TV. | How to improve image quality using picture modes on your Roku TV system.

Furthermore, if you experience playback issues within the specific app only and have already tried all the possible troubleshooting steps, we highly suggest directly reporting this to the channel provider themselves as they maintain and update their app on the Roku streaming platform. 

We hope you find this information helpful.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Hisense Roku TV aspect ratio vs external HDMI Roku Express

I played with these settings as well but does not address the poor aspect ratio on the TV’s native Roku system, making the picture very elongated. The only thing I could do to fix that is change the advanced settings to stretch, but that cuts off the sides of the show I’m watching. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.