Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t3hbutt3rs
Binge Watcher

Re: FIXED w/ 11.0! - TCL Roku R635 10.5 Update broke Dolby Atmos & eARC/CEC Devices?

Jump to solution

About 2 days after 11.0 released, I did a "check for updates" on my R635 and it updated to 11.0

I still have 3 other S425's that are still on 10.5 and wont update to 11 yet, but that's alright. On my R635. the soundbar is recognized via eARC now every time I turn on the TV, Atmos works when Netflix is launched. No more settings fixes every time I turn on the TV 😄

0 Kudos
InigoMontoya
Channel Surfer

Re: FIXED w/ 11.0! - TCL Roku R635 10.5 Update broke Dolby Atmos & eARC/CEC Devices?

Jump to solution

That’s so good to hear! Haven’t received the update on my r635 yet. Must be rolling it out by region. Can’t wait to try it out! 

0 Kudos
MSBNH
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Haven’t received mine yet, but am hopeful it will solve some problems. I haven’t been having the same issues here, but a related (I think) issue with a pause in audio going to my Altos 8i sound bar every time I start video. Finally had to switch to optical out to make it tolerable to watch/listen. That issue has been discussed extensively elsewhere. Hoping the two problems are related. Would welcome anyone’s thought’s or experiences regarding that…

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Well this is good news.   The update hasn't made its way to my TV yet but when it does hopefully it will fix the problem.

That said, TCL's support is still absolutely horrible and because of that I am sticking by what I said and will never buy another TCL product again.  Too many options and competitors with better support to deal with this BS. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@GuitarMan  I own 3 TCL Roku TV's. All 3 work flawlessly. I don't need customer support on any device I own. Roku, iPhone, Google Nest, Echo Dot and many more. What most people don't understand is the when you call customer support or tech support you aren't talking to an actual educated technician. Your talking to a minimum wage work who is simply reading off a trouble tree chart. You can figure most things out yourself with a simple Google search. Heck UI fixed my washing machine and dishwasher myself by watching YouTube. When it comes to Roku TV's it is either TCL. Hisense, ONN, Sharp, Sanyo, JVC, RCA and Hitachi. I may have missed one. TCL is the most popular. 

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have to agree about TCL's quality. While I was able to get through to their support pretty quickly, and their agent was friendly, and sincerely tried to remedy things, it was in vain. 

I'm hoping I get the Roku v. 11 update sooner than later, and hope it fixes some of the many issues I've been having to deal with.

Also, it's odd when I check manually for software updates, sometimes even if it says it just checked it, there will still be one or even three channels updating. So I keep checking manually every day, hoping that V.11 hits me soon. I wish there were a website we could go that would give us some indication when that update will happen, especially if it's being rolled out via region...

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Streamer317 the problem with my TV is a problem that no one can fix on their own unless you're a programmer and can manage to decompile the TV's firmware/OS, debug it, find the exact code that's causing the problem, correct it, and recompile your own custom firmware/OS.  

TCL support was absolutely horrible.   They kept asking me for things I had already sent them, said the serial number on the picture of the serial number tag I sent them was wrong (but when I read it to them on the phone straight from the picture I had sent them it magically was correct), failed to reply to emails asking for updates, and ultimately didn't care that I filed a complaint with the AG's office against them for failing to either fix, replace, or refund the purchase price of a malfunctioning device within 30 days as required by state law where I live.  

BTW, I don't need their "customer support" to figure out how to use these devices either - I work in IT and can usually figure things out on my own.  But this wasn't a user setting, user error, etc, it was an outright broken product.    

And yes, their first-line "support" reps are minimum wage, outsourced, and mostly off-shored workers.  So what?  They don't have an escalation procedure for when the first level person doesn't know the answer to a problem?

I have a Sony OLED too.  I've never had to call them but I know plenty of people who have.  You know what their first-level reps can do?   As long as the TV is connected to the internet they can connect remotely to your TV and directly work on it and troubleshoot any problems, and if they determine the TV actually has a problem they will authorize a repair or replacement on the spot, and if it's just something that's incorrectly configured, they will fix the setting.  

Meanwhile TCL just keeps asking for videos and pictures you've already sent them, they don't reply to emails, it's impossible to get anyone on the phone, etc..  Pathetic.  

Sorry, not something I care to deal with anymore.  I'd rather spend double on a slightly better TV than deal with that nonsense. 

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My 65” TCL Roku TV has the Roku wireless speakers and subwoofer. Works perfect fine.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

GuitarMan, does the credit card you used to pay for the TV have an extended warranty benefit? Most have a year or two, and going through them may help, as they perhaps could possibly advise TCL they may chargeback your payment, if they refuse to honor their warranty, or if it's past the time, then use your credit card's repair vendor to fix it.

As for the stalling, asking for documentation you've already submitted, etc, this has unfortunately become all too common in the marketplace. Whether it be health insurance companies (they do this constantly), auto repair shops, maker of digital devices & services, etc, etc, even when we used to have to mail in coupons, they all make tons of extra money by just wearing people out. Making us jump through so many hoops, we just give up, and let them off the hook for services or refunds they owe.

Apple's online support people, nor anyone in their store has a clue how to fix an essential function on my iPad, yet no mention of an exchange, or any option, which I find astounding! You make a product, it doesn't work right, you have no idea as to how to fix it, and so I should just take a breath and accept I now have a thousand-dollar paperweight?  Steve Jobs is rolling in grave....

Oh, and why do some on user support forums, just have to chime in to say their device works perfectly? As if this proves you're just making it all up?  As it's not at all helpful to remedy any problems someone is having.

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Streamer317 that's great but a subwoofer and wireless speakers are not even close to the problem this thread and the other ones mentioning this issue is about.   Please read through the thread.  The problem is explained in quite a bit of detail.  

The power button on my remote works fine.  The FF and RW button work fine.  So what?  Those things, just like your subwoofer and wireless speakers, have nothing to do with the problem.  

0 Kudos