Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t3hbutt3rs
Binge Watcher

FIXED w/ 11.0! - TCL Roku R635 10.5 Update broke Dolby Atmos & eARC/CEC Devices?

Jump to solution
Edit: Roku ver. 11.0 fixed this! eARC is now active every time I turn on my TV. No more crazy fixes needed. Whomever the Roku software reps were that (maybe read this post) and fixed this, THANK YOU. I wish we could bypass the CS dept and go straight to you next time we have issues.

Edit 2: Confirmed by a Roku CS Rep, they blame TCL for their botched 10.5 update that broke eARC/CEC devices. They sound like they don't plan to fix, so avoid purchasing the R635 AT ALL COST if you have a eARC soundbar. I have posted the email from them in the replys below. Also, just purchased a R646 Google TV for the same price as my R635, and boy am I glad Roku screwed things up, this TV is wonderful!

Edit: Update must be per device. Soundbar works without issue on my older TCL 55S405 10.5.0 4210-30. So something broke with the update on the R635 model. Last day to return my TV is 2/9/22, please fix Roku.

I've been watching Netflix/Disney + for a few weeks with my new TCL R635 and Dolby Atmos Vizio M512a-H6. A couple days ago, I noticed the Atmos logo disappeared from the Netflix/Disney + shows. The green light on the soundbar also did not light up stating its playing in Atmos. I did however notice the TV updated to 10.5 and this is when the issues started. Now every time I go to my audio settings after turning on the TV, it shows Stereo, not Atmos/DTS. You go to your CEC devices, and it shows none. After powering off the TV, I'll turn it back on and it shows Stereo until I do a quick fix below to bring Atmos back. That works until I turn off the TV again, then its back to Stereo. 10.5 seems to have broken Atmos, ARC, or eARC compatibility. Saw on reddit, on these forums, a few other users stated a very similar issue with 10.5. Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't want to have to RMA the soundbar an/or the TV.

I've also updated the soundbar to the latest 1.3.0.7 firmware, played with TV/Roku setting, swapped HDMI cables, factory reset the TV. Nothing for troubleshooting has permanently fixed this. Heck, even the official Roku Dolby Access app wont play the audio in Atmos until a quick fix is used.

My Settings: Audio Output - eARC (Vizio M512a), Digital Output format - Passthrough, HDMI Mode - Auto (recommended)

Note, changing the  combination of the above settings all yield the same results.

Quick fixes include
  • Refreshing CEC devices
  • Changing Digital output format from Auto back to Pass through, or vice versa.
  • Unplugging the HDMI cable and re-plugging it into the soundbar or TV.
Roku TV - A115X
TCL Model 75R635
Serial Number X0030058SR8D
Software Version 10.5.0 Build 4210-88
Device ID S05GY1A8SR8D

Another post on this forum with the same issues that explains it a bit better than myself. (Sorry, it said no similar posts when I posted mine)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ma230598239
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TV 10.5.0 eARC no sound after following power ons with Sony AVR

Jump to solution

This issue was eventually fixed with a firmware update last fall.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
57 REPLIES 57
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Re: TCL Roku 10.5 Update broke Dolby Atmos?

Jump to solution

Good to know it's not just me.  I was not sure if it was the soundbar or the TV.  This pretty much confirms that it's the TV.   I'm talking to TCL and it sounds like they might consider replacing the TV or some other option but if the problem is their firmware, I don't think replacing the TV will help.  

Not quite sure what to do.  I'm going to email them and point them to this thread to see what they suggest. 

I like the Roku interface but I'm starting to think that Roku TVs, in particular TCL Roku TVs, are not a good idea.  Better to have a TV with another user interface and just attach a Roku device to it.  On my other TV I have a Roku Ultra and while it's not perfect, at least I don't have these problems with it.  My previous TCL was also a 65R635 and it had nothing but problems with soundbars and the audio always being out of sync.  

0 Kudos
t3hbutt3rs
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have 4 TCL Roku TVs, 3 with soundbars, and all seem to have a different issue with Audio/CEC. This new issue being the worst. I'm thinking of going with the R646 Google TV if this firmware isn't fixed or rolled back. I love Roku, but these issues constant Audio/CEC issues are stressing me out. I posted this on Reddit, and another user said he has issues with his receiver and has been working with Roku for months with no fix in sight. Customer service does basic tech support, and I've done way more testing than I'm sure they would suggest. And a replacement seems like a waste of time and we're pretty sure its tied to the 10.5 update. So your right, probably get another TV with a Roku stick.

I would like to add that every time the TV turns off, you go to the CEC devices, and it shows NONE. You can click on Search for CEC devices, click Refresh, and you get your Dolby Atmos again, if this is a quicker fix for some others with this issue.

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@t3hbutt3rs wrote:

I have 4 TCL Roku TVs, 3 with soundbars, and all seem to have a different issue with Audio/CEC. This new issue being the worst. I'm thinking of going with the R646 Google TV if this firmware isn't fixed or rolled back. I love Roku, but these issues constant Audio/CEC issues are stressing me out. I posted this on Reddit, and another user said he has issues with his receiver and has been working with Roku for months with no fix in sight. Customer service does basic tech support, and I've done way more testing than I'm sure they would suggest. And a replacement seems like a waste of time and we're pretty sure its tied to the 10.5 update. So your right, probably get another TV with a Roku stick.

I would like to add that every time the TV turns off, you go to the CEC devices, and it shows NONE. You can click on Search for CEC devices, click Refresh, and you get your Dolby Atmos again, if this is a quicker fix for some others with this issue.

Mine shows a Firestick as a CEC device but the soundbar is often missing even though the TV still turns the soundbar on and off.  The problem seems to be that they can't figure out how to make an eARC port that actually works. 

Sometimes when I go to Info on the soundbar it reports that it's connected to an ARC port, not eARC.  Other times it does report eARC.  I've asked TCL if there's a way to manually set the port to ARC rather than eARC but they haven't answered the question.  I don't like that you can't disable eARC and just use ARC.  There has to be a way though because it sometimes does it on its own.  On my Sony TV I can turn eARC on or off.  When eARC is off, it works as ARC.  Not sure why TCL can't do this.  And if there is a way, where is that setting?

0 Kudos
t3hbutt3rs
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I've searched and searched and havent found a way to swap or disable them. I too have emailed support, and linked them to this thread. So seems to be an issue with eARC with the update most likely because my other TCLs only support ARC and this soundbar has no issue working on them. Who know if/when a fix will be available. Since my return window is shortening, and CS is likely to take a while to respond with the pandemic, I just purchased the TCL R646 Google TV, it can't be worse, right? Also just read that the R646 supports 4k 120hz too! So that'll be a bonus for gaming. 

If you come across any fixes, or I do before I swap the TV's, please post here. 

If anyone else has similar issues, please post here so hopefully Roku can get a fix for you.

Best of luck and cheers!

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@t3hbutt3rs wrote:

I've searched and searched and havent found a way to swap or disable them. I too have emailed support, and linked them to this thread. So seems to be an issue with eARC with the update most likely because my other TCLs only support ARC and this soundbar has no issue working on them. Who know if/when a fix will be available. Since my return window is shortening, and CS is likely to take a while to respond with the pandemic, I just purchased the TCL R646 Google TV, it can't be worse, right? Also just read that the R646 supports 4k 120hz too! So that'll be a bonus for gaming. 

If you come across any fixes, or I do before I swap the TV's, please post here. 

If anyone else has similar issues, please post here so hopefully Roku can get a fix for you.

Best of luck and cheers!

I'm not so sure the issue can be fixed by Roku.  I have a Hisense Roku TV with an eARC port and tested the soundbar on it.  It worked fine.  It looks like a problem that TCL needs to fix.  I think I'd rather have TCL talk to Best Buy and try to get BB to let me return the TV even though I'm past the exchange period.  Way too many problems with TCL Roku TVs.    Or maybe TCL would offer to swap the TV for one of their Android models.  

0 Kudos
t3hbutt3rs
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I wish you luck, that would be wonderful if they could get you a new TV all together. If you purchased the BB warranty, and "Geek Squad" can't fix, they should be able to get you the money back for a new TV all together. Godspeed friend.

0 Kudos
t3hbutt3rs
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku CS rep email response blaming TCL for their broken 10.5 update. Avoid this TV, and maybe even Roku TVs at all costs. Good luck to anyone, I hope I was able to assist in some way. Cheers!

"CS/CH-Wasima ******, Feb 3, 2022, 13:41 PST:

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Roku is an operating system on the Roku TV. Its hardware and the accessories are manufactured by different TV manufacturer. We request you to check with the TV manufacturer about the compatibility of the Roku TV with the audio setup.
Thank you for choosing Roku. Have a great day!

Regards,
Wasima
Roku Customer Support"
0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@t3hbutt3rs wrote:

Roku CS rep email response blaming TCL for their broken 10.5 update. Avoid this TV, and maybe even Roku TVs at all costs. Good luck to anyone, I hope I was able to assist in some way. Cheers!

"CS/CH-Wasima ******, Feb 3, 2022, 13:41 PST:

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Roku is an operating system on the Roku TV. Its hardware and the accessories are manufactured by different TV manufacturer. We request you to check with the TV manufacturer about the compatibility of the Roku TV with the audio setup.
Thank you for choosing Roku. Have a great day!

Regards,
Wasima
Roku Customer Support"

I'm actually tempted to believe Roku in this case seeing as the soundbar works perfectly fine on a Hisense Roku TV.   

Before I bought the Vizio M512a-h6 I had an LG soundbar connected to it.  I returned the LG to Costco because a few weeks ago the sound started cutting out completely and wouldn't come back on unless I restarted everything.  I blamed the LG soundbar.  But after having the broken Atmos problem with the Vizio, at this point I can only conclude that the culprit is the TCL TV. 

And because everything works fine on my Hisense Roku TV, that seems to also rule out the Roku OS as being the problem and points to the TCL TV.   

BTW, disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable from the TV only halfway fixes it.  It brings back Atmos and DTS but does not show DD+.  The only way to get that back is to switch the Digital Audio mode to Custom (with DD+ and DTS turned on), then DD+ comes back and I can switch back to Auto or Passthrough and DD+ will keep working until I turn the TV off, then I have to start from scratch.  

I even tried leaving it on Custom but that presented a new problem - Audio was out of sync.  Not to mention, if I turn off the TV for more than 5 minutes or so, it reverts to Stereo again.  So that's not a solution either.  

0 Kudos
t3hbutt3rs
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yeah man, its is a huge pain. I don't believe TCL rolls out updates for their hardware, and all the software settings are controlled and updated by Roku. The software is telling the hardware what to do, so Roku should be able to fix, hopefully. 🤞 A reddit user said they called TCL, and they said they only deal with hardware, its up to Roku for a software fix. So their just pointing fingers at each other. Heck, I would be surprised if they even knew there was a issue. 

The soundbar works fine on an older TCL, its 10.5 but with different build number than the R635, so it has to point to the Roku firmware?

I'm getting my Google TV R646 Sunday, hopefully this solves all my issues I've had with Roku over the years. 

0 Kudos