LCL

Re: Connections needed for Streambar

Jump to solution

my TV doesn’t support HDMI Arc or have an optical port. Before returning the Streambar, I looked into various adapter options. I was able to buy an HDMI audio splitter that had an optical connector and it works really well. The streambar sounds just fine with this workaround

HDMI Audio Extractor - Tendak 4K HDMI to HDMI Audio Spli... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFDQ6HG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glc_fabc_AaDZFbV5GYHMH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

JimL
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This question is coming up yet again.  I just got a Streambar for Christmas, but with the confusing non-definitive response, I may give it back since I can't tell whether this works without buying another TV or projector.
The ads for the Streambar implied that it would double as a Roku unit and speaker system.   I am using a low(er) end projector as I am more into the big picture/theater effect and not needing 4K definition.   My projector has neither an HDMI ARC port nor an optical input.  I do not want to use the projector's speakers, which is why I wanted a Streambar.  Please clarify, just what can the Streambar be used for without ARC or optical inputs to my projector?  (Note that not even my HD TV that I no longer use has an optical input, but only an optical output.)
Each response thus far states the NEED for an ARC port or optical input when the question is asking whether it can be used without those ports.  I cannot understand why the Streambar would send an output to a TV when one wants to totally bypass the TV's speakers.
It would appear that just maybe the Streambar will work with an a non-ARC HDMI port, but it's almost if this is buried in fine print with this statement that doesn't seem to answer the original question until the end. "The HDMI ARC is required to pass sound over to other inputs but the Roku Streambar will work with just a HDMI port for sound when using the built in Roku player."
To be more clear on my end, I am ONLY streaming and ALL of my streaming is via Roku devices.  The Streambar was to replace a ROKU Ultra in my living room, and I am not planning to play video from other sources.
Bottom line, what will happen if I try to use the Streambar with a standard HDMI input with no ARC and no optical input on a TV or projector?  (It may help if you do not reference the ARC or optical ports in a response for those of us in the same situation.)  The support page for the Streambar states that a separate audio cable is needed.  So is it really needed or not?  Can the Streambar act like a ROKU, but one having speakers and doesn't need to use the TV's or projector's speakers? 

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response,
-Jim

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Its either hdmi-arc or combination regular hdmi and an opitical OUTPUT on your tv, not INPUT, just getting that straight. See the hdmi is for sending audio and video from the streambar to the tv, where the optical would be used to send audio from the tv to the streambar. A hdmi-arc does both, two way communication. Now forget that, you just want to use the streambar as the source, audio stays with streambar, and video portion goes to the projector which is being used as a monitor only, right? Yes that will work, no need for hdmi-arc or optical output on the tv in that situation. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JimL
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you Edmund.  Your response makes perfect sense.  Yes, I want to get the video from the Streambar to the projector and have the audio stay with the Streambar.  I'm back to being excited about getting this Streambar.  Again, thank you!

I do have one more question if you or anyone else has the answer.  Perhaps this question should be asked elsewhere, but it does pertain to the Streambar.  I'm not finding the bluetooth info very clear.  Is a bluetooth connection with the streambar only for sending to the Streambar, such as playing music from my phone?  Or can the Streambar output bluetooth audio to a pair of wireless headphones such as when I want a quieter environment so as not to disturb anyone?

Thanks,
-Jim

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Sorry but the Roku, it being streambar, soundbar or ultra are bluetooth receivers only, it can't transmit bluetooth to a speaker. Just receive music from a cellphone or tablet. 

Edmund

JimL
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks again Edmund!

0 Kudos
cwhuntersr

Re: Connections needed for Streambar @ LCL

Jump to solution

I bought the work around you used. I am confused by the In's and Out's and I have not been able to  get it to work yet. I have HDMI cable that came with Streambar connected to the HDMI port on the TV. I connected the HDMI ARC end to the Tendak HDMI ARC Out port.  Tendak HDMI In to the Streambar. Standard HDMI male cable. I used an Optical cable between Tendak and the Streambar. Power is connected.

Where did I go wrong???

Cal

[personal information removed]

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

That device won't work, for it to work it needs a hdmi-arc input on your tv, which of course you don't have. Its for connecting arc equipt tv to soundbars or other devices that don't have corresponding arc input, so it splits the signal into two, regular hdmi and audio to the optical input of the soundbar. You have the opposite problem, you do have arc on your soundbar but lack it on the tv. That device only goes one way, for you the wrong way. 😞

Your tv must have an audio out, but its probably RCA output, so the device you need is one that changes rca output to optical output. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
JimL
Streaming Star

Jump to solution
At this point, I'm thinking this Streambar should go back to the drawing board, or at a minimum, Roku should issue an apology for releasing it without being clear on the requirements. Nowhere did I see it mention that I should buy a new TV or projector before purchase. I only use a projector and it has neither the the HDMI ARC nor an optical output. Sound quality is dreadful at times because of commercial mode. To lower the volume of commercials, it sounds like someone put a pillow over the speakers. This is not what I would call volume leveling and is far more annoying than loud commercials. If there's dialogue in the movie, such as watching an old episode of MST3K where there is talking, it can't seem to leave the muffled sound of the commercial that aired earlier. This was given to me as a gift, but I'm still wondering if I should give it back so the gift giver can return it. Not only the above, but this unit is unbelievably slow to navigate, and I can't even watch a full movie without it going back to the main menu or rebooting. I've been a diehard Roku fan until I got this Streambar. I don't know how much of this substandard quality I can take. To be clear, one should NOT need the HDMI ARC *OR* an optical output to use this and get satisfactory results, period! I no longer use my TV and would not get another for this Streambar, nor would I replace my projector. I don't think sound quality would improve and certainly wouldn't speed up this very slow unit.
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@JimL 

If the source is only the apps from the roku built-into the streambar, and you're using the projector as a monitor for the video portion and leaving the audio with streambar you do not need hdmi-arc or optical output. Those are only needed if you want sound from other devices connected to your projector to come through the streambar. Then there has to be audio out going from the projector to the streambar. 

Edmund