Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Black screen on a onn roku tv that hasnt been dropped

Hello @ADuran5

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ADuran5
Reel Rookie

Basically one of the post mentioned that if we put close to the screen of the tv a flashlight and we can see image it is because the backlight of the tv is damaged, my question was if it is easy to repair or based on the cost it is better to purchase a new TV

Thanks in advance.

ItsSharday

I'm having the same exact issue except I was watching tv an the screen started blinking an went black still can hear the sound if I put the light to the screen I can see picture so did you ever come up with a solution

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ItsSharday

Thanks for the post.

The issue you are experiencing may be related to a hardware issue.
Have you tried contacting your Roku TV manufacturer support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Support page here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

This is very aggravating. I have done updates. I've have done resets,unplugs and hard resets. I paid way to much for a TV I have to do deal with this **bleep**. I shouldn't have to wait 15 to 25 mins everytime I try to watch a movie or pay a game system. I think it should be replaced or a support person to come fix this thing. Thank you

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @jholcombe25

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

We'd recommend following the suggestion posted by @RokuDanny-R above. The TV manufacturer is the best one to help you with this matter.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
quvu2022
Reel Rookie

My 70" Onn Roku TV 100012588, bought from Walmart in Nov 2020 has the same problem showing a black screen with sound.  I have attempted the following and concluded it's not a hardware problem:

(1) Replacement using a new T-CON board ($11.99).  The picture came back on for use overnight then the black screen recurred after the TV was turned off.
(2) Soft reset and Clear Cache (Home 5 - Up - 2RW - 2 FW) did not help.
(3) Hard reset using the reset button in the back of the TV (60 sec) restoring to Factory settings didn't seem to help right away i.e., TV still showed a black screen with sound.
(4) I used a flashlight to inspect the black screen and could see and faint shadow of the home menu. The remote still works when I select a menu item. At this point, I suspected problems with the backlights (hardware related).
(5) Hard reset using the reset button on the back of the TV (60 sec), restored to Factory settings, and unplugged the TV overnight. The screen came back on for me to set up the TV. So the backlight is definitely not a problem. I tested the computer connected via HDMI and that worked also. However, the black screen came back on when I powered off the TV and turned it back on.
(6) I suspected a software update issue. So I repeated step (5). When setting up the TV, I chose to not connect via wireless and use the generic home menu. However, the black screen came back on when I powered off the TV and turned it back on.
(7) I repeated step (5) one more time to get back to the setup menu, connecting to the internet as usual. This time I plan to leave the TV on without powering it off to see how long it would work.

Not sure if I covered most of the scenarios but this does not sound like a hardware problem (T-CON board or backlights), rather it is a problem with the software either Roku or Onn software update. I am posting the information here for further problem investigation and resolution.

I registered with Onn by submitting the image of the store receipt but somehow when contacting Onn customer support, they could not locate my registration. So I was out of luck with the 1-year warranty instead of the 2-year warranty with Onn registration.

I researched more about Onn and Roku on the internet and at this point, in planning to buy a new TV, I  opt to buy Samsung or LG with an Android menu instead.

JC30
Reel Rookie

Having the exact same issue, same brand and model and pretty close to the same age. Already changed power supply and video board, still waiting for T- con board, but after hearing from you I'm really not holding my breath on that. Please keep posted.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@quvu2022 @JC30

Thanks for the post.

Other Community users have reported that unplugging the TV for 10-15 minutes then plugging it back in resolved their issue. Have you tried that troubleshooting step to see if that helps?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos